LG TV's

quinno

Saw a LG 27" LCD TV (Model RZ-27LZ55) on Komplett.ie for €779, Dixons currently doing 'sale' on the exact same model at €899 (reduced from €1199!)

Just two questions -

1. Anyone any dealings with Komplett - presumeably they're Irish based, so no issues with returns.

2. LG TV's - good / bad / indifferent? Saw one in the flesh and it looked good. Good report when googled as well - reviews, etc.

Looks like a nice bargain, in the market for a widescreen that doesn't take over the living room.

Komplett are Norweigan, but they still have to comply with Sales & Supply of Goods legislation. Was in Dunnes over the weekend, they had a 32" LG for €999, don't know the model details though.

Take a look at AV Forums for reviews.

LG is a good make.

You might want to check if it has a UHF and a VHF decoder - check out this thread.

I bought a 32" LG TV from Komplett about 2 months ago. Took about 8 days to arrive (thorough an Post - cost €10.50). The TV itself cost 1299 and is retailing for 1499 in Dixons, Curry's etc.

The delivery charge from Komplett is based on weight - over 30kg and the delivery is via dhl for approx. 160.

I have no problems with either Komplett or the TV, in fact in both Dixons and DID they told me that LG is one of the better brands.

LG TVs were advertised in TIME magazine in the issue I got this week. Surely it must be a decent enough brand if advertised there?

carto said:
LG TVs were advertised in TIME magazine in the issue I got this week. Surely it must be a decent enough brand if advertised there?

Absolutely meaningless. Advertising budget and the product quality are not related.

Komplett seem very good value having looked at their website. Has anyone any exerience of their aftersales?

I've used Komplett several times over the last two years to buy computer equipment, tv, dvd recorder, etc. Always received the goods on time, they've always been in good working order.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but - if I'm buying a tv from Komplett or any other Internet sales company, what can I do with my old tv? I assume Komplett wouldn't come and pick up the old one, and I assume Argos or the like wouldn't accept an old tv without me buying a replacement there...

Try bringing your TV to a local authorithy recycling center, they'll accept it there.

Cheers quinno. However, is there any option for someone who doesn't own a car? (i.e. me) My local recycling centre is miles away from where I live. Do the councils organise monthly pickups or anything like that?

Leo said:
Absolutely meaningless. Advertising budget and the product quality are not related.

Brand association is and Time will not associate themselves with a bad brand!

Sloopy said:

I doubt Time test every (any?) product that they advertise, they will be happy to take the money for placing the ad.

LG do seem to be a reputable enough brand at this stage though, never used them myself but I've seen plenty of good reviews and their price is normally good.

Sloopy said:

I think that's a little naive. They may decline ads for products or services that they feel may offend their customer base or get them in trouble, but there's no way they'd turn down an the significant sums of money for an add because other manufacturers may produce a better product.

HelloJed said:
Cheers quinno. However, is there any option for someone who doesn't own a car? (i.e. me) My local recycling centre is miles away from where I live. Do the councils organise monthly pickups or anything like that?

Hi

Take it back to any electrical shop you want. By law they have to accept it regardless of whether you are buying another in their shop or not.

Remember, when you buy a new item you're being charged the waste management fee regardless of whether you bring an old item in or not!! Make them work for their fee and bring it back to your closest retailer.

but doesn't the waste management fee apply to the future disposal of the equipment you are now buying as opposed to the disposal of the old equipment being replaced now?

So paying now for a future disposal and not paying now for a disposal now?