Lexus IS250

N

nowrathgar

Considering buying an 08 IS250 automatic with 30K kms on clock. It has the premium pack ie Xenon lights, memory seats etc. Car is in mint condition with a main dealer who is looking for €27.5K cash. I have no trade-in. Dealer seems reluctant to negotiate further.

I know that motor tax circa €1K and fuel make it a dear car to run. Has anyone any comments on reliability, comfort and so on compared to BMW 3 series or Audi A4 diesels which are cheaper to tax and fuel.

3 totally different cars your trying to compare there OP.....

one is a semi performance car while the other 2 are diesel mile munchers.
what are you looking for out of a car?
what mileage would you do per year?

Remember the old adage that the day you buy is the day you sell. If you are the sort of person who keeps cars for years and will run the Lexus into banger territory, then it could be a good buy. If you think your circumstances may change and you'd need to sell/trade-in within a couple of years then you'd likely take a bath on it.

You'd probably struggle to get much more than 30mpg out of it, but it would be a nice place to spend a journey. Another consideration may be that modern diesels are very complex and can suffer reliability issues - I'd avoid any car with a dual-mass flywheel and/or a DPF.

If you do decide to buy I'd wait a month and offer 25k cash. I'd say the car would stil be there!

SSE