Lexus IS200, Subaru Legacy or Alternative?

Afterflood

Hello all,

Am looking to buy a secondhand car.

Would like some small bit of power and comfort.

Will have maybe EUR15000 to spend.

Was looking at the IS200. Nice enough car. 15000 would get a tidy lowish mileage 04/05.

Came across some Subaru Legacys while looking for Lexus.

I always liked Suburus and believe they are quiet reliable.

15000 would get a low mileage 2007.

This seems like a good car for the money.

I would plan on driving this car for at least 10 years if not longer.

Would appreciate thoughts on the Lexus, the Subaru and on any idea for alternatives.

Thank you.

hey, i have a saab 95 2.2 diesel . i find it v good on fuel does 650miles for 60 euro of petrol. comfort is v good too. just an idea for you. there is the 9.3 too

As a long-time Subaru customer, I always appreciated their unparalleled reputation for immaculate engineering, longevity and performance. For a number of years they not only won the WRC and other competitions regularly, but their road-cars also featured at the top of the table in reliability and customer satisfaction surveys.

Even with the emergence of their diesels and that dumb-looking (IMHO) Impreza hatch, the cars still have that sporty edge to their reputations, but they no longer seem to feature at the top of the "well-screwed together" league.

Interestingly, Lexus seem to have replaced Subaru at the pinnacle of the the reliability and customer satisfaction measurements and also have that added luxury in their pedigree.

Neither a 2.5 V6 IS200 nor a 2.0 (single or bi-) turbo-charged Legacy AWD will be the most fuel-efficient of cars, but they will certainly have other rewards for the driver. My own personal choice, if I could get one, would probably be the IS220d Sport.

Lexus or Subaru? Each has their own unique attractions and there's not a lot to choose between them IMHO and they certainly blow the bulk of the "me too" brands into the weeds on all fronts. Good choices - happy shopping.

The IS200 is a nice looking car but a bit too much of the 'Fast & Furious' image about it nowadays.

The Legacy is a very nice, understated car with a tremendous engine. Much classier too IMO.

The IS220D has a terrible gearbox too, apparently.

This would be the old model IS200, right? It is a nice and engaging drive, and the 6-speed box is very flexible and smooth, but you do find yourself changing gear an awful lot. Is this really what you want?

Thanks to all for the feedback to date.

Have been looking on carzone.

There are a few nice looking very well specced 2.5 litre Subaru Outbacks.

I am very tempted.

What worries me a little is fuel economy - which I think might not be too bad - maybe 20 mpg if I take it handy.

What worries me a lot more is reliability and expensive repairs.

If anyone has any thoughts, expreience with the 2.5 litre auto Outback I would appreciate.

Back