Lexmark Z35 printer just won't move on Windows 2003

snowden

I have a Lexmark z35 Inkjet printer for some years now, and it has always worked on Windows XP SP2 no problem.

But it doesn't matter what way I install it on Windows 2003; the driver appears to install correctly. The only thing I notice different is the Lexmark configuration program runs after installation on XP, but not when I have installed it on Windows 2003.

I've even tried getting the latest drivers from the Lexmark website (very hard to find btw) but these don't seem to work either.

By 'not working' I mean that when I click on File->Print... in any program, the printer just sits there; it doesn't even try to start printing. The printer icon appears in the taskbar okay but just stays queued forever. Windows XP works fine though.

Btw I have since upgraded windows 2003 to sp2, and the printer doesn't work on either sp1 or sp2 for windows 2003 despite the Lexmark driver info stating it should.

anyone know what's happening?

Are you connecting the printer via USB? If you have installed a driver that you downlaoded from the Lexmark website then you need to uninstall it. W2k3 has its own driver for the printer acording to Lexmark and all you need to do is plug it in, turn it on and let it install the windows driver automatically. Make sure you set it as the default printer and it should work fine unless there's a problem with the printer.

yes, i am connecting it via USB. It is a z35 color printer by the way.

if w2k3 has its own driver, then why am i prompted to add a new device (u know where u have to insert a driver cd etc.)?

check that the c: has enough space.. It happened me, onday the printer worked the next time it wouldnt.

@askU: i've always had enough space in C: ; and i've never really got it to work. when i install it on XP pro, it pops up ink levels and all, when it's printing and so on, and i now tried it on xp pro and it worked, but didn't put up any ink level dialogs like it used to. i think i might be missing something in terms of a windows service or something. i've even tried windows xp compatibility in 2003, and it still won't work. - and about the 'driver built-in to windows 2003', i think i removed them when i nlited 2003. now that it has been mentioned, i think i did install it successfully this way before, but it might have been a different printer, i just can't remember - i do remember though that i could only print in black & white, not color.

i'm thinking of just getting a laser printer anyway!

errr, so a little elbow grease seems to have got it moving!!

i tried installing it manually via the Found New Hardware wizard, and got the latest driver from the HP site (CJXP35SE.EXE).
When i extracted this, i browsed to the folder with the hardware wizard and when it was finished, it prompted me for unidrv.hl_ (and probably other files like it also). I got these files on my windows cd-rom. when i browsed to them, the printer setup finished, and works!

now all i have to do is go and buy a new color ink cartridge...