Level survey results for planning application

bartbridge

Do the levels required for a planning application have to be put on the site layout plan or can the figures be given separately?

Hoping to get the levels done in the next week or so and am about to get the finished (?) site layout plan from the technician so if I need to put them in I better hold off on the drawings...

As far as I am aware you need a Finished Floor Level FFL on your site layout and to do this you need site levels and road levels which are pretty important. Most of these are on your ordnance survey map but if your site is hilly you are best having survey carried out prior to finishing site layout plan. Ask your technician can levels on OS map be used for site layout.

You will need to show them on the site layout plan. The least you will get away with is a fixed bench mark or a temporary bench mark (TBM) and a proposed finished floor level relative to same. Some councils actually require a contour survey but its highly unlikely you would be asked for that for a single dwelling.

Is your technician not taking the levels for you?

A friend of mine has offered to do the levels as a favour. I'll check out the levels on the OS map and see. The site is fairly level, no hills around.

you can show an assumed FFL i.e. (0.150) with an assumed
ground level of (0.000), your levels only need to be shown
on the site plan and nowhere else. you don't have to show
the FFL of any neighbouring dwelling.

you can show an assumed FFL i.e. (0.150) with an assumed
ground level of (0.000), your levels only need to be shown
on the site plan and nowhere else. you don't have to show
the FFL of any neighbouring dwelling.

Incorrect. In the Galway Co Co area at least, it is a requirement of planning that you show levels of any building or structure within (I need to check the actual distance...) 150m? Like I said, I need to find the distance, but it includes adjoining properties. I had to do this for my current build (nearing completion). Galway Co Co tell me this is in the Planning Act.

that sounds like a request for additional information on the part of GCC,
there is no requiremnent under the planning & building regulations 2001
to include FFL's of any neighbouring dwellings (not forming part of the
application) in the planning application

23 (1) (c) of the Planning & Building Regulations 2001 states:
the site layout plan and other plans shall show the level or
contours, where applicable, of the land and the proposed
structures relative to Ordnance Survey datum or a temporary
local benchmark

they can't expect you to call into every neighbour and demand that
they let you take a FFL, not a chance.

couldn't find the reference, so I rang Galway Co Co planning dept, and they told me just before lunch that all levels of any structure within 50m (not 150 as I thought) of the proposed new structure. This to include properties other than your own.

He said it was not a Galway Co Co thing, and that it came from the Planning & Development Act.

So, who am I to dispute the planning dept? And I had to pay a guy with a GPS unit to do it, so I'm not making it up..............

Maybe it is ridge heights they are referring to rather than FFL's? That would be the important level with regard to neighbouring buildings.

I've been making planning applications for 10 years and I've never
heard of this from Dublin City Council, Fingal County Council, South
Dublin, Dun Laoghaire + many more (never galway). It may be the
ridge heights though and you'd only have to be close, not exact.
The requirements for planning drawings are listed here:

www.irishstatutebook.ie

look for

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]S.I. No. 600/2001: PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS, 2001

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Below is the specific on what the drawings must contain.[/FONT]

Thanks for the advice.... I spoke to someone in the last few days that was working in planning in our co. co. (Kildare) until earlier this year and I was told that I just have to show road level, existing site level and finished floor level only. I looked at a planning application for a house up the road that received planning last year and that's all that they had on their application aswell.

Kiwijbob, in relation to proposed sightlines, do we just measure the distance between the site and any dwelling in our sightline or am I misinterpreting?

The sightlines are a requrement from the roads section in your
local Authority, you should ring the LA and ask to be put
through to the roads secition and ask to speak to a road
engineer, get the guy who's preparing the drawings to do
this for you and send in a drawing to the relevant engineer
before the application is lodged. I hope you have employeed
someone who knows what they're doing or this application
may turn out to be a very drawn out process indeed. Have
they contacted the drainage dept, refered to your local
development plan etc?

sightlines depend on your local speed limit, i.e. can a car coming
around a corner see you pulling out from your property or is it dangerous?

best of luck

We're putting in the application ourselves but we've used qualified people for drawing of plans, percolation test etc. We have everything ready for the application except for the few items such as the finished floor level and sightlines... The site is in a rural area and the road is a cul de sac which ends about 50m past the proposed site. I'll contact the roads section and see what their thoughts are on the sightlines....