level of detail in contract drawings

Brigid

Hi, Could someone tell me what level of detail is recommended or usual in contract drawings? Is most of a build governed by the building regulations and if so is it necessary to put these details into the drawings, or is it just if you are doing something that it outside the ordinary. If most good trademen know what they are doing is a lot of detail required. Also can engineers if requested provide the type of contract drawings required by tradesmen or is this something that an architect or arch tech normally does? We are hoping to self build by direct labour are the working drawings usually done by an architect or engineer? I think that the more detail the better but this is a discussion I am having with someoone at the moment and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it. Thank you very much for your considerations.

Last edited:
I think you should have this discussion with your appointed architect, Brigid.

They'll be producing the drawings that you'll be paying them for.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Thank you so much for your considered response ONQ. I am probably wrong - but I think that reply could be given to most questions that are raised on this forum.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me from a practical point of view what is normal.

Thank you so much for your considered response ONQ. I am probably wrong - but I think that reply could be given to most questions that are raised on this forum.
Brigid, you have been given a lot of advice on this forum suitable for a lay person.
Short of my doing the job for you, I cannot really give you more advice.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me from a practical point of view what is normal.
Here are previous replies I have made to you, Brigid.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1036139&postcount=6
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1044972&postcount=10
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1045429&postcount=12

Tender drawongs are intended to allow a builder to price, not build, however:

1:50 GAs showing:

• plans,
  • sections,
  • elevations
and
  • a 1:100 site plan with drainage
in conjunction with:

• a typical 1:20 section
and
  • typical details 1:10 of sill, head, eaves and threshold
- will normally suffice to get an accurate price - as long as you stick with the specification - as soon as you vary that, the accuracy of the price goes out the window.

The GAs could include notes on type of heating system, lighting and plug positions, sink locations, etc. but this can also be included in the specification for a tender price, leaving the detail layouts to working drawing stage.

All of the above need the construction specification tied down before they are commenced. There is a lot of work varying the construction specification afterwards. It means effectively re-drawing the set, donig the whole job twice.

You need a good set of drawings to fix the price. The more you include in terms of detail the more you can tie the price down. But this is a chicken and egg situation. The re-design of the entire building detailing following varying the specification, will be needed for a revised set of drawings to lower the price.

You will find it difficult to get someone to do a good set of drawings - to get an accurate price - then get them to do a revised set for free to reduce your costs of building.

Working through good sets of drawings like this costs a lot in terms of time, fees and meetings with the builder on buildability and scheduling issues.
In a recession, those businesses that are still afloat will be looking for work they can process quickly, not get stuck in a morass with a fixed fee and endless revisions for a demanding client.

Apart from doing their head in, the time taken to deal with your demands could well drive the builder under - it would prevent them doing paying work and unless they were appointed, they would have no return for a lot of time invested in your house.

You have already been advised that this was what you were effectively looking for - a sweet deal on fees plus time put in for free.
Yet you don't seem to have moved on and appointed anyone on this basis.
You wouldn't still be asking these questions if you did.

In short, you don't appear to be taking on board my VERY considered advice in relation to your overall position.
If you want a secodn opinion, ask in a forum prominently populated by architectural technicians.
Try the Planning forum in the Boards.ie/Rec/Home and Garden Section.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

You will have to sign up as usual in these things and they are far more severe there in terms of what they can post, but on matters to do with technical drawing, they are competent.

ONQ

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back