Letting agreements in retail

T

Tallyman

Hello there,
I have a few different leases, two 25 year, one ten and a 4yr 9mth letting agreement.
I want to break the letting agreement. I would like advise from anyone who has done this. A solicitor will only give the usual cautious crap. I've learned that negotiating directly with landlords is much better than allowing solicitors to head to head.

My point is: i signed a letting agreement 18 months ago. I've never signed one before. It is a basic agreement downloaded from the law soc. website and is really very similar to the kind a landlord would use for renting out a flat or house. I was asked for a deposit (which i thought was bizzare.... i'm a retailer who has only had long term leases up to this). The fact that a deposit is asked for suggests to me that the agreement is not worth the paper it is written on.

rent is only 20k but the business cannot even pay this. I am going to pull down the shutter and walk away and see what happens. But is a letting agreement worth anything. With a lease, you have to get it officially surrendered or a landlord can chace you unless you liquidate. I get the feeling a letting agreement is altogether different. Anyone out there broken a letting agreement?

"A solicitor will only give the usual cautious crap."

Yes indeed. You should be very careful. A letting agreement is a contract - just like a lease.

mf

My initial post was a bit of a rant I know. It set me on a goose chase and i have found out that unless a letting agreement is stamped it is not worth the paper it is written on. Meaning it is the same as a residential letting agreement. Apparently in cases where a landlord is an individual and not a company they sometimes try to avoid the VAT liabilities associated with a letting agreement and therefore do not register the contract. And in my case it is not not stamped. So yahoo!

....i have found out that unless a letting agreement is stamped it is not worth the paper it is written on. Meaning it is the same as a residential letting agreement.

This is not the case in a residential letting agreement, doesnt have to be stamped.

Back