Letter from E-Z Pass about unpaid toll. Is this a scam?

john martin

Today I got an e-mail from E-Z Pass asking me to deal with an unpaid invoice which has been ignored. Can this be genuine as I have an automatic system which pays from my bank account directly.

E-Z Pass do not operate in Ireland, so yes, almost certainly a phishing email. The former Easy Pass (Easy, no E-Z) are now operating as Easy Trip. E-Z Pass operate in the US.

A genuine unpaid toll notice will come from one of the official operators, and if you think about it, they're very unlikely to have your email address. Unpaid tolls in Ireland could only really originate from use of the M50 barrier-free toll, which is operated by eFlow.

I'm guessing there was an attachment? - If so, do not open it. Just opening it can be enough to compromise your system. The same applies if there was there a link to follow.

Good stuff. It's surprising how many people's curiosity gets the better of them.

Where I work runs mandatory training that all staff must complete every year on how to identify phishing attempts and other potentially dangerous material, yet the helpdesk regularly have to deal with the consequences.

It's a scam - my gmail directs them to my spam. My only transport is a motorbike and I only use two tolls, one I always pay by cash and they don't charge for bikes on the M50

Back