Letter from bank requesting prompt CC payment - small amount

usrbin

I have a credit card with a major Irish bank. THere's about 550 euro outstanding on it at the moment, has been for more than a month, so a payment of approx 30 euro was due at the last bill.

I didn't pay it, just forgot it (don't have a direct debit set up, like to keep an eye on the CC). I know this costs me a few bob each month I let it slide. I can live with that though.

Got a polite letter from the bank this week saying that, although this is a small amount owing, they would appreciate if I paid it soonest (which I then did). I'm surprised, to be honest. I though they'd be happy to have long-established customers running some charges with them - after all, if everyone pays off their CC every month, that's less revenue for the bank, right?

I'm also vaguely worried: did they perhaps do this because of a perception that my reliability/credit rating might be failing? Am I on some kind of "increased risk" watch list at the bank? Earlier this year I switched most of my income/payments into a different (business) a/c with a different bank, plus the mortgage drawdowns which were sloshing in and out of the personal a/c for the past couple years are now history. Should I be concerned that the bank might think I'm becoming a deadbeat? :)

Chill. Same thing happened to me recently. Nothing to worry about....or is there..............

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

(Remember with a credit card bill the bank have to get money from you before they have revenue and they can do more with your payment than without it.)

those are just standard letters sent out. Your name would have appeared on a report as not having made the minimum payment and a reminder would have been sent out. Don't worry about it.

The same thing happened to me today! was for 96 euro. Got a letter, saying i should contact them to arrangle alternative payment and that not paying it next month would mean the direct debit would be disabled

I though they'd be happy to have long-established customers running some charges with them - after all, if everyone pays off their CC every month, that's less revenue for the bank, right?

I'd say more than happy to see you not pay off the balance in full but missing even the minimum payment could be a bad sign (though I would have thought they would only worry if they see a pattern).

Yep, spot on, Dam099. OP, you signed up initially to T&C's which include making the minimum repayment. Their database generates this reminder when you breach it. Quite different from not paying off the full balance, they're happy for you to not to do that.

Back