Letter from AIB seeking copy ID etc for club account

dewdrop

I am a member of a retired club and several members got a letter purporting to come from AIB seeking photocopy of such documents like Passport etc and also confirmation of place of birth so as to be able to continue to fully operate their account. Implication here seems that if you ignore your ability to operate the account could be restricted. Many people felt it was a sham and ignored it. Apparently it is not and there is debate about it on Politics.

If you mean that you are member of the Committee and have access to cheque book etc. then it is probably a case of updating information on record, which is understandable. I have been requested to do the same for a committee and just went to the Customer Service desk at the particular branch to provide same.

When I was on my union committee I had to supply these documents.

If you go into the branch then you know it's not a scam.

It is not AIB's fault. It is the application of the money laundering rules. It can become very difficult to open a bank account.

Have you supplied these ID already, personal customers are getting letters from AIB to re-supply IDs.

I know someone who got these ID request about personal accounts. I suggested going to query it in branch. seemed odd to request ID be sent by post.

As Brendan B said this is a standard requirments for all banks as laid down by the Central bank. The CB audit compliance with customer identification requirements and Banks are obliged to approach all clients holding accounts or signatories on accounts to get this ID. Letters are being sent out requesting the documents. It may suit some people to post the ID documents directly to teir branch or alternatively drop them in. The Bank cannot let this drop if ID is not provided and ultimately may need to advise those that have not provided ID that an account will be closed or usage of it will be curtailed. CB are auditing compliance with this legislation.

It is not AIB's fault. It is the application of the money laundering rules. It can become very difficult to open a bank account.

This is for existing accounts. They must be doing it retrospectively.

Out of curiosity When were the rules changed.