Let the Buyer Beware

Nedtastic

I want to share a story about what happened to me when I was buying my house in 2002.

I needed a mortgage of 140,000 euro to buy a house worth 235,000. My partner's previous mortgage was with Friends First and she thought they were a reasonable crowd to deal with so we decided to go with them again. Also my parents who had invested in property had a couple of mortgages there.

We met the mortgage advisor and everything was fine and we were preapproved without any issues. We decided to fix the mortgage for 3 years at a rate of 4.49% (which we were happy with) as we were getting married later that year and wanted to know what our outgoings would be.

Two weeks before we were due to sign for the house I received a phonecall from the mortgage advisor who informed me that regretfully, the 3 year fixed rate was increasing to 5.25%. I was horrified and asked for an explanation as to why the rate at their bank was increasing when all the other banks were reducing their rates. She said that she did not know and was only passing on the news. I told her that that was not good enough and could I speak to her manager. She told me that he would ring me back.

A couple of days later I received a phonecall from a manager at Friends First and he gave me some convoluted story about European Central Bank rates and head office advising of rate hikes etc etc etc. I basically told him that I would take my business elsewhere.

We ended up going to BOI and getting sorted there at the same rate. Just in time too as we signed for our house only about 10 days later.

About three weeks later, I received a phone call from the mortgage advisor in Friends First and she told me she had great news and that they could offer me the original mortgage but the 3 year fixed rate had now come down to 4%. Needless to say, following the stress that I had endured over the previous month, I told her exactly what I thought of her bank and how I felt that I had been very badly treated.

Afterwards, I started to wonder how many times has this stunt been pulled by Friends First on people in similar situations to my own. Even after almost 4 years I have never forgotton this blatant attempt, in my opinion, to rip me off in a most unethical and uncaring fashion and I warn any young first time buyers to beware when dealing with this bank.

If you think that you were ripped off and can't let it go four years on I presume that you at least made a formal complaint to the lender and/or IFSRA?

Nope - - - Just getting it off my chest now. Seeing as this new consumer rights movement seems to be gaining momentum now though, I might jump on the bandwagon.

15-03-06 ---- Wonder why I can't post in this forum any more .....

Ronan-d-John ----- Perhaps I should have said consumer affairs .... Even you should recognise that a 1.25% swing in interest rates in the space of a month is unheard of. I posted my story in case the bank in question were still undertaking this practice. This seems to be a well frequented forum and maybe there were folks out there that had similar experiences. If you look at all the scams that the various banks have been pulling for years (eg AIB overcharging on foreign exchange transactions) i becomes apparent that the financial institutions in this country have no scruples about ripping their customers off in the most underhand and sneaky fashion. If other folks are being pressured into taking on interest rates way above the market norm, then it should be made known.

Clubman ----- The mortgage advisor was a direct employee of Friends First. We met her in the Navan branch of the bank.

Nedtastic said:
Nope - - - Just getting it off my chest now. Seeing as this new consumer rights movement seems to be gaining momentum now though, I might jump on the bandwagon.

I don't see anything here with regards to "consumer rights". Interest rates, as well as prices, can change. Friends First didn't do anything to infringe upon your consumer rights.

I don't see how exactly you can have any problems here at all. You decided the price you want to pay, which you did at 4.49%, and then you paid it.

The point I think that Nedtastic is making and that I think he's hoping to make people wise to is that he considered that Friends First were pulling a stunt in the hope that with only a short time left he'd stick with them at the higher rate. The stunt being that he was offered a particular rate, then with only 2 weeks to go the rate was hiked by an extra 0.75% (which at the time was disgraceful as rates were not even near going up). Nedtastic fortunately told Friends First to get stuffed and only after he'd done so did they then after waiting for a while to give credence to their claim did they get back to him to say they could offer 4%. So in the space of a month the rate went from 4.49% to 5.25% and then to 4% I don't think there's anyone out there stupid enough to believe that this reflected an actual rate fluctuation at the time of Nedtastics dealings with Friends First. None of these offers were probably made in writing (except I assume the original 4.49%) so making an official complaint isn't possible.
I'm glad I read letting off steam as otherwise I might have missed out on being forewarned about this underhand practice, thanks Nedtastic.

Who was the mortgage advisor in the original story? A third party between FF and the borrower or a direct employee of FF?

How is the original poster supposed to answer your question about who the mortgage advisor is if you've moved the thread to LOS which automatically bars new users?

Past30Now said:
How is the original poster supposed to answer your question about who the mortgage advisor is if you've moved the thread to LOS which automatically bars new users?

I think i would agree with Past30Now, regarding the OP being unable to reply here due to posting restrictions on new users. It was unreasonable to have done this.

Also, checking on regarding rate movements, there definitely was not any upward trend in 2002.

Exactly the opposite, in fact, as can be seen from the data above, rates were falling steadily from 4.50 at the beginning of 2001 down to 2.00 in mid-2003.

So the banks reason for increasing the rate on offer was entirely spurious, and the OP's warning should be welcomed.

Back