Lesbian couple - court case - what would you do?

MugsGame said:
I see a lot of it on the DART. One young couple sitting directly opposite me a few months ago were so amorous that I took out my camera and took a few photos, with flash!

Hmmmm.....there's a website featuring photos of Dubliners or at least people in Dublin getting extremely amorous in public.....is this where they're getting their material from?

ClubMan said:
I don't consider myself homophobic but I hate gay bars or any other places that take what amounts to a segregationist approach to catering for certain categories of people.

(Apologies for reopening another older thread - But I'm bored at work and just saw this one)

I must say I always hated the thought of gay bars too yet now I am a regular. I never liked the ghettoising of people of any "type". Homogenophobic as you said. But on the other hand - if most people, and I agree with other opinions here, who claim to be tolerant still dont like seeing men show (basic) signs of affection in public and get awfully offended if theres even a suggestion of a come-on by a member of the same sex - it shows that there is still a need for people to go out with their partner (or in the hope of meeting one) to "safe" venues.

I dont feel safe showing any signs of who I am when out and about in town and away from my friends (gay and straight).

Its also funny - On a quick pass through this thread - most of the people who responded seem to be female. Males, in general, are a lot less tolerant. My female friends will join me in a gay bar without hesitation, my male friends generally wont.

Sol28 said:
Males, in general, are a lot less tolerant. My female friends will join me in a gay bar without hesitation, my male friends generally wont.
I personally would not view willingness to patronise a gay or any other sort of ghettoised establishment as necessarily indicative of tolerance.

ClubMan said:
I personally would not view willingness to patronise a gay or any other sort of ghettoised establishment as necessarily indicative of tolerance.

Absolutly not. One of the reasons why there are bouncers on the door is not to block straight people (and drunks etc etc..) but the certain element who are happy to frequent such places just to cause agro. And of my more tolerant male friends they would still be incredibly uncomfortable if, in a gay/gay friendly venue, another guy started talking to them. On the other hand I have also heard girls in gay venues comment on how disgusting it is if they see two people kiss - if you dont like the view - leave the location!

And as for for other comments made - I too dont like in-your-face displays of affection - of any persuasion. But I do think its nice to see a happy couple holding hands - or kiss hello/goodbye when parting. And I think every one (like the two women mentioned by the OP) has that right. The judge in this case had to (by law) find the pub guilty - but yet did not inflict any penalty/punishment as according to his views, and as expressed in his summation of the case, it wasnt a gay bar - hence no protection was truly needed.

I think I have to include by hubby is homophobic - which really comes as a great surprise to me. You learn something new every day!

I would not think of myself as homophobic but I have to say that there are a lot of ''things gay'' that I feel uncomfortable about.
Does this make me evil/a gay basher/intolerant etc. I dont think so - why do people feel pressured into following PC trends like lambs to the ........

I have the absolute right to feel uncomfortable about something and shouldn't be made to feel 'uncomfortable about feeling uncomfortable'

I have a gay friend and have been in gay bars many times with him but he is OK with my discomfort and is not offended if I fancy leaving/not going for some reason or other.

gramlab said:
I have a gay friend and have been in gay bars many times with him but he is OK with my discomfort and is not offended if I fancy leaving/not going for some reason or other.

Likewise I would not feel comfortable in a bible studies group (as an example). I wouldnt object to some one reading a bible in public (while not disturbing others). What I do object is to being bashed across the head with that bible or being physically attacked for reading my bible in public (while not disturbing others). Discomfort is different than tolerance which is different than homophobia.

Gay bars are for gay people (and their friends). Bible groups are for religous people (and their friends). Its where one's ethos is to, without reason, cause hardship for the other. Live and Let Live

Males, in general, are a lot less tolerant. My female friends will join me in a gay bar without hesitation, my male friends generally wont.

Could this be because men think of themselves as irresistable and are afraid they'll be chatted up?

Could this be because men think of themselves as irresistable and are afraid they'll be chatted up?

Did you not know that us gays cannot take our hands off you straights? Its a fact of life - Every straight male is so hot!!!

Actually a lot of women enjoy the ability to go out and have a laugh with men (and women) without being harrassed by drunk straight males. But then by the end of the night - a lot of the women who are out with their gay friends think "What a waste!", they have been flirted with all night by the gays, but with no options to meet a nice bloke themselves. This is where the straight male friend can (and do) swoop in. Females think - He must not be the neanderthal, he's here in a gay bar - and his success rates soar. Happens all the time.

So Straights - Its not all bad in a gay bar for you. A lot of us have a lot of single female friends!!!