Lesbian couple - court case - what would you do?

Audrey

Had a chat with my husband last night about the lesbian court case (where two lesbians took a bar owner to court because he had asked them to desist from kissing/cuddling in public). I was VERY surprised to find that my husband (normally tolerant and open minded) said he would walk out of a public place if a gay couple kissed in front of him. He also said that he expects most people feel exactly as he does. He believes gay people are entitled to do what they like in private, but he does NOT want to see them kiss or cuddle in public. I said I thought he was in the minority, and that most people nowadays really don't mind too much. He is strongly of the opinion that he is in the majority, and he suggested that I start a thread on it to see if he is in the majority. What do others think? Would you walk away if two gay people kissed/cuddled in front of you in public?

Andrewa said:
Would you walk away if two gay people kissed/cuddled in front of you in public?
Possibly. Even if just to give them some privacy. But if I was engaged in something important at the time (e.g. eating my dinner, watching the match and/or drinking my pint) I wouldn't let it bother me.

Wouldn't bother me any more / less that a heterosexual couple doing the same in front of me

Andrewa said:
Had a chat with my husband last night about the lesbian court case (where two lesbians took a bar owner to court because he had asked them to desist from kissing/cuddling in public). I was VERY surprised to find that my husband (normally tolerant and open minded) said he would walk out of a public place if a gay couple kissed in front of him. He also said that he expects most people feel exactly as he does. He believes gay people are entitled to do what they like in private, but he does NOT want to see them kiss or cuddle in public. I said I thought he was in the minority, and that most people nowadays really don't mind too much. He is strongly of the opinion that he is in the majority, and he suggested that I start a thread on it to see if he is in the majority. What do others think? Would you walk away if two gay people kissed/cuddled in front of you in public?

Surprised that a man would say that about a lesbian couple. My general impression (without offering my personal take on it) is that most men never object to 2 women but at the same time can be quite uncomfortable about 2 men.

Like Dowee, it would bug me just as much having a heterosexual waring the faces off each other as it would a gay couple. Its pretty rude, if you are sitting down enjoying a drink/cup of coffee and across the table from you, 2 people are pashing.

I admit that I wouldn't particularly like to see it but that's my taste and there's no way I think they should be asked to stop. People don't have to keep looking.
Now that I come to think about if a hetro couple were all over each other near me in a pub I'd also find it uncomfortable and the term "get a room" would spring to mind. In fact there's loads of things that we encounter every day that wouldn't be to my taste but unless they're done in the extreme they wouldn't bother me and I'd get on with what I'm doing.
Live and let live, but everything in moderation.

If a hetro couple where drooling all over each other every 10 seconds(i see alot of this in pubs and public transport) id get pretty peeved off and probally change my seating so their not in my eyeline or if i couldnt then id move venue's. Its not nice to see ANYONE mooching the face of someone else regardless of their sex or religion or anything else! Im all for young love but come on, there's a time and a place to get overtly passionate. This case in particular didnt say that the lesbian couple where explicit in their kissing or not but IMHO a peck on the lips hugging or whatever is acceptable for most people but just as long as people dont gat carried away,then its just not nice to see to anyone!!!

Sarah said:
If a hetro couple where drooling all over each other every 10 seconds(i see alot of this in pubs and public transport) id get pretty peeved off and probally change my seating so their not in my eyeline or if i couldnt then id move venue's. Its not nice to see ANYONE mooching the face of someone else regardless of their sex or religion or anything else! Im all for young love but come on, there's a time and a place to get overtly passionate. This case in particular didnt say that the lesbian couple where explicit in their kissing or not but IMHO a peck on the lips hugging or whatever is acceptable for most people but just as long as people dont gat carried away,then its just not nice to see to anyone!!!
. I agree Sarah - it's just not really nice to witness if it gets out of hand no matter WHAT the sexual leanings of the couple are. Hubby, however, would walk away if they were gay, but not if they were hetero, and I find this very strange in this day and age. Also, the couple in question brought to the Judge's attention that on the same night there had been another group gyrating with a blow up doll, and yet nobody asked them to stop. I pointed this out to hubby, and he said he wouldn't object to the behaviour with the blow up doll!! I think I have to include by hubby is homophobic - which really comes as a great surprise to me. You learn something new every day!

As everyone has said, it wouldn't bother me at, not matter if they are home or hetero, unlesss it gets out of control....It really came to a surprise to me as well when listening to the radio yesterday about the case that the publican was found guilty, but had no fine or to pay anything to the couple, not that they were looking for compensation of anything. I find extremely weird that nobody complaint about the party with the doll, but complaint about two women kissing each other on the lips for 2 seconds, in some countries this is a common practice between friends, or family.

Extended kissing and groping in public does bother me I have to say. Don't know why. Wouldn't make a difference the inclination of the couple. It would never drive me to move or leave, though I might encourage them to stop. I see a lot of it on the DART. One young couple sitting directly opposite me a few months ago were so amorous that I took out my camera and took a few photos, with flash! They soon got the message.

casiopea said:
2 people are pashing.
Is that a regionalised colloquialism? Never heard it before.
Andrewa said:
I think I have to include by hubby is homophobic - which really comes as a great surprise to me. You learn something new every day!
Have you known him long?
Also, the couple in question brought to the Judge's attention that on the same night there had been another group gyrating with a blow up doll,
Where is this pub? It sounds like my sort of place!

Andrewa said:
. .He believes gay people are entitled to do what they like in private, but he does NOT want to see them kiss or cuddle in public. I said I thought he was in the minority, and that most people nowadays really don't mind too much. He is strongly of the opinion that he is in the majority, and he suggested that I start a thread on it to see if he is in the majority. .
I suspect that his opinion is a majority one in general, but a minority one on AAM and in the Irish print and broadcast media.

ClubMan said:
Is that a regionalised colloquialism? Never heard it before.

Have you known him long?
Where is this pub? It sounds like my sort of place!

Not long enough it would seem!!

ubiquitous said:
hardly, if your own name is Andrew?? :lol
Funny!! I knew I shouldn't have chosen that name. Clubman (seriously) - is it possible to change my user name at this stage??

TBH I wouldn't mind a quick kiss or a hug but anything more is too much in my opinion. I think most people would be more freaked out by a male gay couple than female kissing in public.
I know for definate my other half would be rally freaked out by a male gay couple kissing in public and most of the male and I can think of quite a few others of my friends and acquiantances who would feel the same.
I think your husband is probably in the majority on this one.

it was a pub in Blarney clubman...obviously kissing the Blarney stone wasn't satisfying enough!

Andrewa said:
Funny!! I knew I shouldn't have chosen that name. Clubman (seriously) - is it possible to change my user name at this stage??
You and who's a fella! ;)

Back