Leo and the leak

cremeegg

This is probably the greatest non story to make the headlines since last weeks nonsense about non-approved hand sanitiser.

New media please.

Au contraire, I think this is a real zinger of a story. If this was a Junior Minister in any of the 3 Coalition parties, they'd have been gone by lunch time today.
There's a lot more to play out on this one but Leo can thank his lucky starts that the Greens and FF are terrified of an election right now

Nope RTÉ have just come up with an even better non-story. Pheasant shooters up in arms at Covid restrictions.

This is probably the greatest non story to make the headlines since last weeks nonsense about non-approved hand sanitiser.

New media please.

I like Leo but I can't see Leo surviving this.

What he did was wrong on so many levels.

So the Government agreed a deal with the IMO (it was announced and details covered) and Leo wanted the NAGP to accept the same deal. So he gave them a copy of the agreement as proof. Good tactics I think.

So the Government agreed a deal with the IMO (it was announced and details covered) and Leo wanted the NAGP to accept the same deal. So he gave them a copy of the agreement as proof. Good tactics I think.
If that's what happened, and it seems that it was, then yes, it's a non-story.

I find it interesting that we have the highest per capita number of medical graduates in the world. We keep hearing that one third of our medical graduates immigrate each year but in reality we have a very lucrative business training doctors who then go home. We have 2.51 graduates each year per 10,000 population but only 3.3 working doctors per 10,000. That still leaves us in the top 20 globally but where do the rest go (besides into politics)?

Nursing is almost the opposite; we have 12.9 per 1,000 people, the 5th highest in the world, but 0.29 graduates each year per 1,000 people.
We export doctors and import nurses.
Source

I find it interesting that we have the highest per capita number of medical graduates in the world. We keep hearing that one third of our medical graduates immigrate each year but in reality we have a very lucrative business training doctors who then go home. We have 2.51 graduates each year per 10,000 population but only 3.3 working doctors per 10,000. That still leaves us in the top 20 globally but where do the rest go (besides into politics)?

Any college course of high demand & need should be 'reserved'. Something over say 500 points.
If you do that course, the tuition isn't free, but needs to be paid back either in X years employment in this country privately or publicly or in cold hard cash.
A situation where hundreds of thousands of euros being spent on training medics who then immediately head off to Canada or Australia or mid East, while hundreds of other Irish kids miss out on a chance to study it here is neither fair nor sustainable.

Any college course of high demand & need should be 'reserved'. Something over say 500 points.
If you do that course, the tuition isn't free, but needs to be paid back either in X years employment in this country privately or publicly or in cold hard cash.
A situation where hundreds of thousands of euros being spent on training medics who then immediately head off to Canada or Australia or mid East, while hundreds of other Irish kids miss out on a chance to study it here is neither fair nor sustainable.
Sure, but the foreign students pay full price. The majority of students in the RCSI and about a third in Trinity fall into that category. I don't see why UCD and UCC etc. would be any different.
I do agree that when the people of Ireland spend a third of a million putting someone through medical school they should at least stick around for a few years afterwards and not moan about not being able to get a job; the only doctors who don't have a job in medicine don't want a job in medicine.
Edit: RCSI fees for non EU students €56,135 per year.

Back