Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E431 SSD upgrade ?

lonelyplanet

Hi ,
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with 100GB SSD storage. I am running out of space due to some heave programs installed. It is a very responsive laptop and thus thinking of upgrading the SSD to 500GB or 1TB. I am wondering if this is worth doing and upgrading to latest Windows 10 version.?

Thanks
lonelyplanet

What does the Lenovo support site say? I can't seem to find your model listed.

Another option is to go to a 3rd party site and check the upgrade options. I have selected Crucial.com and it lists RAM and SSD upgrades for your computer https://uk.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/lenovo/thinkpad-edge-e431#ssd

Or to narrow down the options to your specific configuration you can download and install their "SCAN TOOL" on your computer. The blue button on the right halfway down the window. https://uk.crucial.com/

I'm a customer both for RAM kits for Mac, 32GB MacPro and 64GB Mac mini plus internal and external SSD upgrades and have found them rock solid and reliable.

You'll need to figure out in advance how you are going the transfer the data and programmes from the old SSD to the new and if this will impact licensing of any important software. Do you want an internal or external SSD, bearing in mind that in the absence of an external Thunderbolt 3, you'll be limited by the throughput of an old-fashioned USB port which makes investing in [EDIT: external] SSD pointless.

If you can't do the upgrade yourself you'll need to factor in labour for tech services. I'm a DIYer fortunately although newer systems are a challenge.

HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks Mathpac,
Fair play to you that link is very good and at least could check against the different SSD that are compatible. That link is very handy. I also downloaded a program called Speccy to get idea on the laptop spec which was useful as want to see if RAM needs to be upgraded. Currently have 8 GB in 1 slot so ordered another 8GB for other slot. As I was on a roll I got 1TB SSD, 8GB Ram and a SATA to USB adapter to copy current SSD to new SSD to avoid having to install new OS. Found a tool last night after I posting here called MiniTool Partition Wizard which hopefully will perform the copy.

Anyway thanks for your advice..
lonelyplanet

Glad it was useful. That USB to SATA adapter is a godsend even for once-off use.

One last thing, if you buy an external bus-powered SSD enclosure, you can reuse the original SSD to back-up data files and as a back-up boot device in case anything ever goes askew.

Back