lemon trees

Abbica

hi, think I made a rash decision at the weekend and bought a lemon tree at Blooms without thinking how much work was involved in looking after them. The man was so busy all he kept saying was, look at the web. So, we bought it, now I am like, what the hell do I do with the blasted thing, it was expensive so I don't want it to die plus I wouldn't do that to the poor tree. I have an orange tree already and it is fine, ploughing on, never less than 3 oranges on it, but I think I was a bit presumptious with the lemon tree. All I remember was the man saying feed it tomoto seeds or something and water it but only rain water but not too much and keep it inside in winter, outside in the summer and in the sun but not in direct sun??? Does anyone have one of these trees. The web is not good and I have a block on accessing most things. it is 4ft high and is spiraling around a bamboo mesh. I know, don't say anything but I do have green fingers so I think this could be a success if pushed in the right direction:confused:

Hi, I've a lemon tree growing in my south facing porch for the past year and a half and it seems very happy. You need to buy a special feed for citrus trees, there is a summer feed and a winter feed (i'll get the name when I get home if you want). I mix about a teespoon of it with about 2 litres of water every week in summer and about every other week in winter. The key is for it not to get too cold in winter, no colder than about 10 degrees i think. Other than that it looks after itself. It produces lovely scented flowers and I have picked lemons off it but they weren't very appetising looking!

Hi again, the name of the food is "Citrus Tree Food For Winter" "Citrus Food For Summer" made by a company called Chempak. There are lots tips on the food container on how to grow and feed.

You seem to be doing well with your orange tree, so do exactly the same with the lemon tree as there are both citrus trees (with grapefruits and limes)

Regarding watering, AFAIK, these trees like extremes... so i let the soil of my orange trees go fairly dry (all in pots - in John Innes no3 - make sure water drains well) and then soak them.

Hi Beetroot, where did you buy those feeds? (I also have a lemon tree, slightly struggling, some leaves and all the baby lemons fell off! :()
Thanks
Nicola

Hi, thanks Beetroot for the name and watering tips, will go and get some. Next year, when we are finally in our own house, I think I will just leave it inside I suppose, in the sun room. Don't think I will be able to hawl it in and out every year, get very heavy I presume.

Also Bacchus, I also leave my orange tree quite dry and then just give it a good watering every two weeks. When pruning the orange tree, do you just snip at the top of the branches. This tree/plant is only 2 ft high and the branches are quite thin so the oranges basically droop onto the soil. Should I give it a good clipping back or just a snip here and there?

Final question, what I was thinking, growing fruit trees in our sun room as it is an extension off our kitchen, could you recommend any other plants/trees with berries/fruits that like these conditions, southerly facing?

All I remember was the man saying feed it tomoto seeds or something

I'd say he said Tomato Feed. You can pick it up in any garden store. Dilute it well, water the tree with it once every 2 weeks or so. Great stuff, for all fruit/flowering trees.

Hi NicolaM, I got the feed in the garden centre where I bought the tree (Nangles Cork) cost about €7 and lasts for ages.

Back