Legal standing of Irish will viz USA.

noproblem

Hello,
apologies if this is in the wrong thread but I feel it's a legal question, rather that one on a will.
I have a 50 yr old brother and his wife and children home in Ireland on holiday from US, New York. Husband and wife emigrated to America aprox 21 years ago, their 2 children were born in America. Boy is 20 yrs old and the girl is 15. My brother had some serious health issues recently, but has recovered and they have no will made in America. They're wondering if they make a will here in Ireland, will it have full legal standing in America, they don't have any assets in Ireland but feel they're still Irish and would like to do it this way. They're fully legal in America, American citizens and all that, no problems, as are their children, but would prefer to make a will in Ireland. Both are working and always have been, they've told me that their work pensions transfer to the other partner ( they're married) if anything should happen to either so I told them that I would ask her for advice and let them see the replies. Hope someone can help me with this. Thanks in anticipation.

Well they can make a will in Ireland but the general rule is to make a will where you live and where your assets are .

The text book version:

Legal terms dealing with property may not be understood or may not have a counterpart in the foreign jurisdiction and therefore it is preferable that a will dealing with immovable property in another jurisdiction be drawn up by a lawyer in that jurisdiction.

mf

Back