legal position on private car parks

springer

Hi all,
Recently while visiting a large exhibition centre in Dublin some nice chaps decided to try and break into my vehicle! Fortuantly they didnt manage to get in but caused a serious amount of damage trying.
Does anybody know what my legal position is regarding claiming for the damage from the owners of the facility?
They have the odd `owners risk`signs up,and on that particular day there was 8 security persons on the site and the whole episode was recorded on cctv ( clarity though is poor so no chance of identification).
Any comments :confused:

Rainy Day,
Not sure, may be that the car park is not safe, the damage occured while legally on there prperty or may be the security company are negligent because they are not providing the service they are employed to give?

I'd guess you need to be clear about specifically what kind of negligence you are alleging? I understood (though I'm not an expert) that the 'no liability' disclaimer notices were pretty effective in such circumstances.

I suppose iam saying that ,as i paid for the car parking i should at least be entitled to some sort of security,especially as they have security personnel allegedly patroling the site. Although as you mentioned,the disclaimer notices may indeed make any claim a waste of time,but i wonder how legal are there disclaimers and would they stand up if challenged in a court?

maybe if the culprits were staff from the building you were visiting you would have a case.

Back