Legal fees , probate small estate

thelad77

My brother passed away about 2 years ago, there is no will, all he has is 15k in a bank account, maybe a few 100 on another bank account ,
or a post office account.
Will the post office tell me if he has a post office account book.
i have 1 bank account book.
i don,t know if what money in bank acccount no2.
bank account no 2 had a standing order of 10 euro per month .
it was either in aib or bank of ireland.
i do not have a solicitor yet.
I did not see any statements from
Will i expect a solicitor to charge between 2.5 to 5 per cent of what is in the bank account,s. plus vat.
will i just ring up solicitors for a quote.
Any advice would be appreciated .

Sorry for your loss.

You should take out probate yourself, I have just been through this, it is a straightforward process requiring form filling and some running around.

The probate office is your first port of call, check out the process on their website, an estate of this size which is straightforward does not need to be burdened with solicitors fees.

I went to bank where the main bank account is, they said they will need to get a solicitor,s letter to give me info ,
on the account.
I Know how much is in account no 1.
if i fill out an application to the probate office ,will they deal with the 2 banks,
what ever money is left will be shared equally between me and my 3 sisters.
2 sisters live in australia and america .
will they need to sign a form for the probate office.?
or can i do most of the work myself with the help of the office.

You can do it yourself, the probate office do not communicate with the banks, if the 3rd sister is here then both of you progress this, refer to probate office website to get started, alternatively use a Solicitor.

You could do it yourself and the probate offices are very helpful. However, if you are concerned get a solicitor - they will contact the banks, post office, credit union etc., Ask a couple of solicitors in your area for a price. Also you need to sort out with Revenue - it would appear he did now own any property so there should be no LPT due. A solicitor will cost but you will get rid of the hassle for you.

Plus, banks also have a bereavement support unit who are very helpful with a check list of things you need to do.

Back