Legal fees for selling a house

Carnmore

How much would the conveyancing fee be for selling a house and settling a mortgage (incl/ex VAT) ?

Which outlay items apply to selling a house and how much do they cost? (there is no management company and the estate the house is on was taken in charge last year)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Anything from €1000.00 and upwards. Some people will say that's a very small amount but someone close to me was charged that figure in the last month in the west of the country. House was sold for €185,000.00 and was on an estate in a good area. I accept it may cost more in other areas, but I also wonder, "WHY", if it's a clear cut and non problematic sale?

If it's land registry already, outlays are small.

Commissioner fees. About 60.
Land registry fee for folio map. Eur 40.

I had to get an updated letter from council to prove roads were taken in charge. That cost 125.

Professional fees anywhere from 1k upwards plus VAT.

The entire estate was outlined in red on the land registry website with only house which had resold individually mapped so a surveyor had to check the boundaries and map the plot on the folio map, who was paid directly.

I think the fee paid to the local authority re taking in charge was €50.

The outlay should be €150 in this case then?

Solicitor previously said a professional fee of €1k is 40% lower than the norm - is that correct?

Solicitor previously said a professional fee of €1k is 40% lower than the norm - is that correct?
Personally, I paid 1,500 plus VAT. I have used the same solicitor for a few transactions and know his work. But you will get cheaper.

Outlays of about 150 sound right, so long as there's nothing unusual. But when you get a solicitor to quote they should indicate outlays for you.

I am a solicitor and I am sitting here in my office surrounded by "clear cut and non problematic sale" files. Not. Not a single, solitary one. Every one has an issue and my job is to identify it , address it , fix it and move on. Never mind the "chain" cases where you might have up to four transactions all dependent on everyone doing their bit, doing the decent thing and being honest and straightforward. The selfishness I see on a daily basis is unbelievable - its all about "me"!

August is a particularly bad month - everyone wants to get in before the schools start - I have five of these transactions and not a signed Contract in any one of them. Two weeks to go.

Any conveyancing file probably eats up about 40 billable hours in a solicitor's office and even if the work is primarily being done by support staff, its still a lot of time.

Most of my clients are repeat clients and they'd rather pay me to do the work than to trawl around for the cheapest possible price. Doing that quick trawl, I can see fees as low as €695 plus VAT.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can operate an office or offer any sort of proper professional service based on that sort of fee.

But there's the deal: use the cheapest possible solicitor's office or pay, what I would call, a realistic price for a proper service.

Its a win-win for any client- even the cheapest solicitor has to have Professional Indemnity Insurance so even if they make a complete mess of it, it will, usually, get sorted eventually and at some considerable grief for the client.

I charge €2000 plus VAT for any usual conveyancing transaction and more for anything awkward, problematic or troublesome.

I get clients inviting me to "match" the cheapest quote as if, in some way, they are doing me a favour. Most regular posters on here will know what my answer is

mf

Love it mfi, but could you tell me how the almost guaranteed fee of €100 for photo copying and miscellaneous expenses is arrived at, even after postage and office expenses has already been charged. This is the type of extras that get people hopping mad. Next we'll have publicans charging extra for the pint glass and the beermat on the price of the pint. Seems there's no end to the entitlements in certain jobs. Carpenters charge extra for hitting the nail and extra again if it hits the spot. Where would we be if everyone started adding on all these sweeteners?

Last edited:
Sister is a solicitor-I agree with above statement

Outlays are: 50 local authority estate taking in charge letter, 40 land registry map, 50 land registry first charge removal fee

None of that matters a jot. The bottom line is the figure you end up paying. Everything else is noise. And carpenters and pubs charge for extras all the time. If you want crisps with that pint, you'll pay well over cost price for them.

Have you seen the cost of a stamp these days?

Given the amount of paperwork involved in any legal transaction and the fact that solicitors have to produce all this paper for all clients, it's only right that they charge for it. They could of course, pretend not to charge for it at all and just increase their fees.

I am always amazed how people quibble over a few hundred euro in fees when they are about to borrow hundreds of thousands of euro, that is going to cost them tens of thousands of euro, repayable over decades.

I got an email from someone in a panic because they had their mortgage application rejected due to her boyfriend's poor credit rating. It was a dream home and she was afraid she would lose it. I asked her a few questions and told her it wouldn't be a problem in sorting out the issue for her (Pepper Homeloans). But there is a €250 adminstration fee to process the application. She wouldn't pay it. No problemo, I already have a house.

Steven
http://www.bluewaterfp.ie (www.bluewaterfp.ie)

Thanks @mf1
So whether there is ultimately a fee or not might depend on who holds the charge.

It makes sense that my solicitor didn't mention it in quote as he knew where mortgage was.

It depends on whether the lender is part of the QeD system. Bank of Scotland/Pepper don't do electronic discharges.

mf

Do Pepper do electronic discharges for any of their portfolio, Danske in this case?

I think 1K is a low fee. There will be VAT on top of that, that's the professional fee. The photocopying, postage, phone and paper costs money. Not part of the fee. So let's say 100 Euro.

You might need a BER certificate, a clearance about water, property tax, NPPR cert. I had to pay Irish water for the certificate and then a year or so later becaue Ireland went mad I got the money back out of the blue.

If your title is not in order there might be other costs.