Legal consequence to carry out work in someone’s home

Winnie1

My husband is considering doing some light handyman work in his spare time. It would be along the lines of fitting anchors for bike locks in gardens. What would the legal requirements/consequences be?

Could he offer the service whereby he is acting at the direction of the homeowner with the owner taking responsibility for any Damage done if he was drill where they requested?? Anything he could do to protect himself personally? Thanks

He can't just absolve himself of all liability. He will need public liability insurance.

Having bought 2 myself for €40 and fitted them myself I'd say there is not much scope for it.the motorbike pages on fb would be a good start but I'd be very weary of anybody fitting it for me though.
It's only heavy metal too delay them from stealing any bike.

Husband's potential liability depends on the nature of the legal relationship between him and the home owner.

If husband is an independent contractor he is liable for his own negligence or that of anyone working for him.
He might try and contract out of liability in whatever contract he makes with the customer - not popular with customers or courts.

Also, as a general principle, a principal [householder] is not liable vicariously for the negligence of an independent contractor.

If husband was a direct employee of householder the H/Holder will be liable vicariously to any other party injured by husband's negligence.
However, in that scenario, the H/Holder can actually seek indemnity and contribution from husband.

Back