Leaving Sky..Sky+ alternatives? Near border have saorview, freeview & fta satellite.

nutty nut

Hi guys, I currently have a Sky sub and I also receive the Saorview and UK freeview channels as Im close to Northern Ireland. If I do cancel my sub what alternatives are there regarding a replacement for the Sky sub/service/box?

I really do like the functionality of the Sky+ box in relation to recording and series link etc and while the series link is great I wouldnt mind dropping it if there was another box that could record the freeview, saorview and free to air channels. Likewise the 7 day EPG, while very useful, is not essential.

I would like to retain the option of recording one channel while watching another.

I know the humax box would be an ideal replacement but it is quite expensive and Im looking to see if there is anything cheaper on the market.

All suggestions welcome.

Can't you get an official freeview box?
Of course i can but Im just looking for recommendations as to the best type of box to get that would suit my needs and hopefully be not too pricey.

Im looking for ideas for a box that can record the saorview and freeview channels - basically a replacement for the Sky+ box but as I said Im not that fussed on the EPG or the pause, rewind etc features.

Freeview + box.

This is the only practical solution. The other ad hoc solutions are at best haphazard and prone to breaking down.

Would this work further south - say like in Cork.
I'm looking for an alternative to the whole Sky Subscription too and with their recent price increase I can't justify paying €50 a month any longer.
I would be willing to fork a couple of hundred quid to get a decent replacement system as long as there would be no more monthly subscription bills.

Would this work further south - say like in Cork.
I'm looking for an alternative to the whole Sky Subscription too and with their recent price increase I can't justify paying €50 a month any longer.
I would be willing to fork a couple of hundred quid to get a decent replacement system as long as there would be no more monthly subscription bills.
DVB-T/Freeview will not work. You could get [broken link removed] instead. However, you may have to have a separate box for DVB-S/Saorview and you get a multi-sat setup to receive both Freesat & Saorview. However, in the same vein as nutty's query, I doubt this is achievable on official freesat boxes or official saorview boxes with series link/full epg, etc - only on a generic third party box. The other option would be to get DVB-T/Saorview on it's own OR DVB-T/Saorview + DVB-S/Freesat.

There is going to be outlay for box and setup/installation here - so you need to consider what you actually want and what you're prepared to spend. As spear has pointed out, the lowest sky option should be approximately €25/month.

Am I right in thinking that if you cancel a Sky subscription, the Sky box will continue to work as a freesat receiver but you won't get the Irish channels or the Sky EPG?

You lose the ability to record/playback and the Irish channels. You still get the sky EPG for all the good it does when every other function is disabled.

Back