Leave all to the kids; do I need a Will ? Soft-copy wills possible?

Setanta12

Hi All.

Am partnered up with, but not married to Mrs. Setanta and we have two kids.

Do I need a Will ? I don't have obscure tricky investments or funds squirreled away; everything is known about/discussed etc.

Is it possible to creat an online Wil or must it be hard-copy Will ?

(I suspect the answers are Yes Wills recommended, and hard-copy Wills only permissable - but thought to check)

The CAT is the main problem.

Mrs.Setanta is a stranger to you for CAT purposes. She can inherit the first €16,250 free of CAT.

AFter that it's all subject to CAT.

Marriage might be more important than a will. But a will is important too.

Brendan

Everything simply could goes to the kids ... ? She would be able to use funds, decide as she sees fit (for their benefit of course) until they are old enough.

Civil partnerships were for same sex only and I'm assuming, maybe incorrectly, that is not the case here but either way they are gone now too since the 2015 Marriage Act.

Not an expert but depending on circumstances Mrs S may have an exemption from CGT for dwelling house:

[broken link removed]

Everything simply could goes to the kids ... ? She would be able to use funds, decide as she sees fit (for their benefit of course) until they are old enough.
I really don’t think it’s as simple as that .

You need legal advice on what happens in those circumstances .

Everyone with a partner or dependents should make a will.

Also, seriously think about marriage if you own anything more valuable than a car.

Well, to be honest, my query is more from thinking about the current Covid situation rather than visiting a Registry office or doing a course in religion before marrying.

Marriage may come down the road, but what can I do here today re this? (I would be abe to draft a compliant Will but do not want to waste a few hours research, digging through old law books on this. (Am not a lawyer btw))

You can make a very simple will yourself as an emergency measure.

But you do need to get two people who are not beneficiaries to witness it.

This is better than no will.
But a proper will drafted by a solicitor is better again.

Brendan

As a (currently still) practicing solicitor..........

We have a huge surge in people wanting to make wills right now.

Our advice is to:

(a) Contact your solicitor by phone and walk through individual circumstances with them.
(b) We are not encouraging visits to the office to personally execute the wills.
(c) Our approach here is to email /post the drafted Will to the client and deal with any queries over the phone.
(d) The client then executes the Will in front of two people- who cannot be beneficiaries/spouses of beneficiaries - who then witness the Testator's signature.

How does that work?

The witnesses can witness the signature - in line of sight , from another room or through a window.

The Testator can either keep the original Will and scan a copy to the solicitor- probably the safest- or post or hand deliver the original back to the solicitor.

And in the specific situation of OP- see this link- rights of cohabitants:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...inheritance_rights_and_unmarried_couples.html

Can't stress enough how important it is to talk to your own solicitor.

mf

Back