Leasing a car v buying?

steveyd

Hi,

Just want to get peoples opinion on leasing a car for personal use rather than buying. I know that a car is not a good investment and that the deprecation and car loan payments over say a period of three years period may make it just as beneficial to lease.

what is your view?

Leasing will never be cheaper as a straight forward buy, as you will be paying somebody to provide you the service of leasing. The only way you could benefit financially is if you have the cash money and a very sound investment plan

i leased one of the bmw 1's and am happy i know the total cost and I'm not paying for any depreciation plus i get to drive a brand new car

personal choice i suppose

As a general rule, isn't leasing only beneficial for businesses and not private individuals (in that companies can write off lease costs for tax purposes)?

Also, from what I see offered in dealerships, the mileage restrictions are somewhat low.

As a general rule, isn't leasing only beneficial for businesses and not private individuals (in that companies can write off lease costs for tax purposes)?

Also, from what I see offered in dealerships, the mileage restrictions are somewhat low.

That's what I would have thought. Most people I know, who lease cars, do so through their company i.e. they own the company.