Lease Problems (rights)

letin

Hi all,
Just looking for some guidance, I was to lease a commercial property, before obtaining leases etc to review the real estate and landlord requested a deposit to secure my interest, 3 months lease to be exact. I agreed to this. I received the contracts, and the first copy was a joke they didn't even amend the lease to what I needed the premises for.

My solicitior reviewed and wrote a letter asking them to amend the lease to state what I wanted to do. They did this, but have since been dragging their heels.

The real estate representing the owner was a complete sham, he never returned calls, nothing. I asked my solicitor to push for a closure as it was taking too long.

3months later, I received word from the real estate today that the landlord isn't returning his calls, and that he's pretty sure there's another interested party who is willing to pay that bit more for the property than I offered.

My question is, do I have any legal rights here? since I provided a deposit at the start to secure my interest as requested. Its just I've now lost 12weeks trading time, and solicitors fees still have to be paid..

Can the owner do this? backout last minute with no penalty? I'm sure if I decided to backout last minute I would of lost my whole deposit.

Any advise on this? anything at all..

Thanks a mill

Firstly ask your solicitor about your rights over the deposit.

However, the delays from landlord and agent are quite strange considering the economic times, any clued up landlord would be mad keen to have the premises occupied and rents paid so either there is something wrong on his side or your side.....maybe the other interested party is a stronger tenant than you are? (financially speaking)

Thanks for your response.

I think I have no rights in relation to expenses occurred, seems this is yet another form of "Gazumping". Asked the solicitor, he advises nothing can be done.

I think it quite bizzare, I'm unsure the benefit of giving a deposit had at all?! I assumed deposit means both parties have agreed to commence, and if not the deposit would be lost if I backed out or any fees occurred would be covered by owner if he changes his mind? But it turns out both parties could back out any time before co-signing the contracts... So I ask, whats the point of a deposit at all??

Completely strange is right, ok starting off a new venture, but money is money, I have the capital to back it, so unsure on what the problem was, 12 weeks loss in business for me is still 12weeks loss rental for him too..

Quite strange indeed..

Solicitor needs to be paid, seems like I have no come back, another tough lesson learnt..