Leaking radiator with "thread".

• Thread starter Ian McGuffin
  • Start date
I

Ian McGuffin

Please help! I had an airlock and bled the radiators but now the rad in the kitchen won't sop leaking at the top. This happened with one other radiator before and the plumber said the "thread" was broken. How can I fix this? Will this happen every time I need to bled the rads? The valves at the bottom are turned off but still seems to be leaking.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You could try plumbers tape (not sure of the name but it's white), take off the bleeding valve and put a few laps of tape on over the thread end, feed it on in an anit-clockwise motion so that the tape will stay in place as you thread the valve back into position.

Not sure of a long term solution but you should get the plumbing checked if you're needing to bleed the system often.

Hi Pee. Thanks for the reply. I managed to stop the leak by closing all the valves but the leak was coming from the top of the radiator where you insert the Allen key to bleed the rad. Is this where you put the plumbers tape and if so, how do I remove the valve to put on the tape? Thanks.

Turn off the 2 valves located on each side of the radiator in the bottom corners. It can not leak anymore if there are turned off completely, bare a very small amount at the start until the water level inside the rad reaches th elevel of the bleeding valve (depends if valve is on the top e..g towel rail rad, or on the side, e.g common rad)
Then you'll be ok to remove the bleeding valve. Put a small bit of PTFE tape around the thread before screwing it back in.

Back