Leaking metal roof

Introuble83

I have a box profile metal roof on my shed . Insulated plasterboards are attached on the inside. When we have a bad frost and ice sits on roof it leaks a bit . It does not leak at any other time . Any easy solutions to this ? Thanks

Sound like condensation buildup on the underside of the metal roof sheeting behind the insulation.
Don't think much can be done to eliminate totally but some ventilation should help (assuming there's no heating in the shed).

Sound like condensation buildup on the underside of the metal roof sheeting behind the insulation.
Don't think much can be done to eliminate totally but some ventilation should help (assuming there's no heating in the shed).
Currently the oil boiler That heats the house is in the shed. In the process of moving it outside which will hopefully resolve the issue

Currently the oil boiler That heats the house is in the shed. In the process of moving it outside which will hopefully resolve the issue
Eh, no, it might well make it worse if there is less residual heat from the boiler available.

Or not as the case may be.......Going along the lines of cool air having less moisture content to condense.
Correct ... or that the warmer air resulting from the boiler making whatever ventilation is available more efficient at moisture removal to the external and therefore less moisture to condense. Depends on the ventilation I reckon. We don't know the setup but I'm guessing a shed would probably be well ventilated.

I'm guessing a shed would probably be well ventilated
You would imagine so, alright. :D

However I would still go that the cooler drier air is a better bet to cut down on condensation ( if that is the problem the OP has) than warm humid air regardless of whatever currents it sets up. Plus the temp. differential at point of condensation is exacerbated by the presence of the boiler.

I think the OP has a complete climate going on in his shed.:D

Shed is well ventilated. The roof is built on metal rsj beans. I am thinking maybe the beams are gathering frost and that’s were the leaks are coming in

Back