Leak in heating system, what is the best option?

TheRebelRam

I have discovered that there is a leak in my heating system underground. It is a pressurised system and the leak is somewhere in the ground floor. the heating will not run without pressure in the system.
If I put a valve in to keep the water topped up and just leave it drain away at the leak will there be trouble further down the line?
If I have to get it repaired, which probably means digging up the ground floor and laying new pipes will my homebond cover this?
I am in the house 4 years.

Had this problem once and there was something that you can put in the water that goes around the system that will seal the leak....dont know what its called though.

My Parents had this problem some years ago. The house insurance paid all the costs.

The builder/plumber that did the house originally should sort this out. With all that fresh water coming into your system, you could end up with corrosion in your radiators.

Also,

There are a certain model of Vokera boiler that gave problems with the heat exchanger leaking so before you dig the floor it might be worth checking

Also,

There are a certain model of Vokera boiler that gave problems with the heat exchanger leaking so before you dig the floor it might be worth checking

It is a Vokera, would anyone know the model this happens to or would it be possible to tell by removing the cover?

You can strip down the boiler and it should be fairly obvious if you have a leak. i.e you will see stain and corrosion. I've never stripped one down myself but I can't imagine it being too difficult. Best of luck

If a boiler is leaking then the water should be pooling underneath so check that first. Water can be leaking out the pressure release valve. These can sometimes leak and water will come out of a small pipe that runs from the boiler outside.
See if there is any water coming out of this. Small drops can cause the pressure to drop.
Maybe you have a leak then there are some leak sealers which are sold by Fernox but I don't know how effective they are.
Well if you have to get a plumber could you get the guy that installed the system as he would know the likely spots for leaks, at certain joins etc,.

Back