Lcd Tv?

Pee

I'm looking at the buying an LCD TV and have nearly settled on the Toshiba models and have a few queries:

- Is Toshiba an ok manufacturer, they were stocked in 3 of the 4 shops I went to, Harvey Normans being the odd one out.

- Euro for euro, which model is the best value C, WL or X Models

- Size wise, would a 37" be too big for a standard size sitting room

Any other useful info would be appreciated.

Toshiba are in my opinion a top manufacturer.
I recently purchased the 32 inch C model (32C3030DB) and it`s a fab TV.
Picture quality is best when fed with a HD or Blu-Ray signal, but on SD images (i.e normal TV cable/ satellite feed) it also won`t let you down. Colours are amazing and sound quality also very good.
The C model is the succesor to the WL model, but the predecessor to the X model. The C has a 1366x768 resolution panel, but the X has "Full HD" capability i.e 1920x1080 resolution. Obviously, the X model will set you back probably a few hundred more euro for a set. I have seen the X and C series side by side, and could not discern any major differences on a standard Sky satellite feed. I went for for the Toshiba after researching extensively on the web, and realising that they were getting consistently good reviews. I have no regrets. It`s simply a top LCD.
In terms of size, I live in an apartment, and the 32 inch is perfect. If you have a bigger room, a 37 inch should`nt be too large. I see in today`s paper that you can pick up the toshiba 37C3030 in Curry`s for 999 euro. This is a very good price.
Good luck

Thanks gebble for your comments - do you notice any distortion while watching a football or rugby match?

Thanks again,
Pee

I don`t notice any distortion or "ghosting" when watching matches. I used to have a sony 28 inch CRT and the Tosh is far superior in every way. The ideal way to watch any sport on any LCD is through a High Defintion feed. Unfortunately at the moment only Sky Sports broadcast (selected) sports on on their HD subscription based service. This includes a lot of premiership matches (and approx. 16 other entertainment/ educational channels). The problem is the price. You must pay a one-off-cost €449 for the Sky HD box and €15 pm extra on top of your normal subscription. The picture quality on the screen is top class with HD. If I had more disposable cash I would probably subscibe.
But I am more than happy with the normal Sky SD feed. Any time I have mates over, they always comment on the clarity and the depth of colour. I would advise you also buy a HD DVD/ Blu-Ray player or else a standard upscaling (much cheaper) DVD player to watch your DVDs. This will bring out the true capability of the LCD

Last edited:
Thanks gebbel,

I have all but decided on the Toshiba now I all I have to decide on is the Model type, tho' I did see a nice Sony today for €1200 but it's a 40" and I think it might be too big for a sitting room.