LCD TV Comaptible with Analog Signal

DACMAN

Hi,
I'd like to get my parents an LCD TV, they only have Irish terrestrial TV channels, i.e UVF / VHF transmissions - in my own experience my LCD TV will not pick up both UVF & VHF well - it has to be either one or the other, its fine with satellite signals. my Q. is anyone using an LCD TV to view the 4 Irish channels (in good quality) only? The signal area is the Limerick region.

Thanks

None of the latest LCD tvs will show analog/terrestrial well. Having recently upgraded, i'm finding satellite better than my old crt and terrestrial worse. LCD will really come into its own whenever i manage to get my hands on a HD receiver.

If they mainly use analog/terrestrial, upgrading right now is a waste of money.

None of the latest LCD tvs will show analog/terrestrial well. Having recently upgraded, i'm finding satellite better than my old crt and terrestrial worse. LCD will really come into its own whenever i manage to get my hands on a HD receiver.If they mainly use analog/terrestrial, upgrading right now is a waste of money.
That's a bit extreme.

Analog will look just fine on the smaller LCD TVs (sub 30") but once you go to the bigger sets you'll want digital. The bigger the set or the closer you sit to it, the more you'll notice the defects in the picture. Just make sure you've got a good analog signal.

HD (effectively, only available from Sky) comes into its own on 42"+ sets with true 1920x1080 native resolution. It's wasted on the cheaper 1320x768 sets.

HD (effectively, only available from Sky) comes into its own on 42"+ sets with true 1920x1080 native resolution. It's wasted on the cheaper 1320x768 sets.

Or you could purchase a HD DVD or Blu Ray player to experience HD images. These players also upscale images from standard DVDs. I take your point that 42"+ sets would benefit more in terms of image quality by having full HD, but on lesser size LCDs 1320x768 is perfectly adequate. In fact there is hardly any noticeable difference between 32" sets, one having full HD and the other not (on both SD and HD feeds).

After purchasing a 40" full HD Sony LCD. I own 2 HD ready tv's already - both are 26".

RTE aerial pictures are "fine" on the 40" TV. Not as clear as the 28" CRT TV it replaced but the 40" screen makes up for any difference in clarity.

On the other hand some of the SKY digibox channels are very poor. This is due to the reduced bandwidth some of the channels use. The 40" FULL HD screen shows this up. Like blowing up a 1 megapixel photo to A4 size.

Back