LCD tv above fireplace

seanied

I am going to buy a 32" or 37" LCD TV in a few weeks. My girlfriend is asking about puting it above the fire place. I am unsure if this will affect it in any way. We have an open fire during the winter months and i thought that the heat could affect the TV.
Am i right or does it matter where it is placed??

I am going to buy a 32" or 37" LCD TV in a few weeks. My girlfriend is asking about puting it above the fire place. I am unsure if this will affect it in any way. We have an open fire during the winter months and i thought that the heat could affect the TV.
Am i right or does it matter where it is placed??

Most people advise against mounting an LCD or Plasma above a fireplace as the heat and/or smoke particles could shorten the lifespan of your TV. Also, you will probably find that the TV is too high for comfortable viewing.

Also, you will probably find that the TV is too high for comfortable viewing.
Yeah - thats the first thing that occured to me the first time I came across this. I think people are only doing it because its possible (due to lcds/plasmas) but that doesnt make it a good place to locate the tube...

i recently moved into a new house and put a 32" TV above the fireplace..Took it down again after two weeks as it was a little high. If you are going to put one one the wall you need a big living room so that your seats are back far enough and ure not straining ure neck looking up at it.

Looks very well on the wall though - dont be put off by worrying about heat or smoke from the fire. Sony Vaio have their fan at the top of the tv so there is no problem with them over heating

Back