Laying Wooden Floors -

SA Ecca

We have been told it would take 1 week to lay the floors in our house.
It is just under 200sq yards of laying. Labour is coming in at 6K. minimum.
Oh but this will include the marine ply being nailed down.

Does anyone know of carpenters that can be paid per day rather than per sq yard.
The house is brand new, no skirting boards on, no saddle boards to contend with, and level floors.
My husband can lay them but it will take too much time to do and we need to move in as we will be paying the mortgage very soon.
As we have a toddler we cannot move in without a floor.

Plenty of info in the Key Post on the going rate. Also, as has been discussed here before, marine ply is over kill and will add considerably to the cost.

Your flooring supplier should be able to recommend a number of fitters.
Leo

You would be mad to agree a day rate with a tradesman.

Why not agree a bonus with the fitters if they get it done by a certain time? Be careful however that you do not compromise workmanship for speed.

Recommended Floor Laying Duo

I have a duo that works for a big big Irish furniture store and all they do all day is lay yard after yard of flooring. They take on whatever extra work they can handle and are ever earning a good name for their workmanship. They are very fast and very tidy.
They ask for about 10 - 15 euro per Sq yard but I'd say for the whole house I think it would be more like 10 euro (15 would be for a tiny little hall or something that would hardly pay for the diesel)

They have done work for me and for friends of mine and everybody is happy.

Get in touch with me and I'll pass on your number if you want. I'm happy to recommend them because I know how hard it can be to find good workers. After they work for you I'm sure you'll be happy to recommened them too.

Ray.

Talk to my friend Jaro 085 743 7028. He says if it's laminate he (with 2 collegues) can do it all in just 1 day for 10 euro per square yard. If it's other types of flooring it will take longer because this may require time for glue to dry up etc.

on that amount of sq yards you should be able to get it done for around 18 - 20 a yard if its a soild floor (which i take it is ) marine ply is a over kill ,you could use osb board as the sub-floor and much cheaper aswell at 22 euro a sheet ,also the floor needs to acclimatise for 10-14 days before fitting in a new build and maybe more.

57 sheets of osb 18mm @ e22
3 rolls of 1000 guage polythene @ e15
7 boxes of express nails @20
3 boxes of floor nails @25
fitting @18 sqyard
skirting fitting for 300-400 maybe

i wouldnt get anybody doing it on a day rate, if the job takes 5 dayes ,it will take 8 days then and a good carpenter will want anything from 250-300 maybe a day . hope it helps

Hi Chipie,

When paying someone the €18-€20/yard to lay the floor, does all that material you have listed come included in that price, or do you need to buy that yourself.

no that would be fitting only , plywood would work out at around 7 euro a sqyard using 18mm 0sb board and 2 boxes of express nails and 1 box of floor nails for floors around 30-40 sqyards

I have been offline since I started this thread.
Everyone thanks for your advice, I will not go for marine ply.
I have been quote 4500 to lay the floor now, and this includes some type of plywood (not marine ply), nailed down and not glued.
this works out about 22 per sq yard, so probably a decent deal.
I do need someone to guarantee the job and also to provide proper receipt