laying wooden floors

Sammie

hi, i was thinking of getting semi-solid flooring from a warehouse and then getting someone to lay them for me. Does anyone know how much it costs to lay them? Or would it be wiser to buy somewhere where installation comes with cost.

thanks

Usually it will cost less to arrange the laying yourself. Where in the country do you live? I had all my solid oak flooring laid in my house for ten euro per square yard. Top class job.

If you live in dublin, then I would guess you could pay 30 to 40 euro per sq yard.

Shop around for various fitters, as they can vary in price considerably

Hi i'm in north of dublin. i'm looking for semi-solids. would it be less expensive to lay semi-solid??

Des Kelly's on the Longmile Road, and probably any other branch of Des Kelly's, are currently doing some semi-solids at region €30 / €35 per square metre, including fitting. From other posts that looks like a bargain. If anyone's interested, they seemed to have some solid wood and some laminate on similar offers; can't swear to that, as I was chiefly looking at semi-solid.

-no affiliation with Des Kelly's, just shopping around for this kind of thing at the moment.

Colin79ie, I hope your 30-40 per square yard for fitting is off the wall - I'm hoping not to pay more than that for the actual material, and not more than another 25-30% on fitting...

I wouldnt recommend the quality of the floors in Des Kellys to be honest. We went to Mulveys hardware in Ranelgh. good advice and competetive prices. We had a family member lay the floors but to be honest, having watched him, we'd rent the equipment and do it ourselves next time. Really not alot to it.

Blimey this floor stuff is so expensive!!!

what's the story with laying laminate? I think there is now textured laminate. would this require an expert or can this be a DIY job??
Do the skirting boards have to be removed?

Do these exapand and need an extra margin, or is that a stupid question...

Very limited knowledge on flooring, sorry!

I really wouldn't recommend laminate if you can avoid it. Laminate basically just has a picture of the wood, so if you scratch is of if it gets badly worn, you've no possibility of sanding and re-finishing, or even of oiling the scratch to make it less visible.

Re quality of Des Kelly's flooring - well, it looked pretty good, and I've no doubt I'll find the same stuff àt a higher price elsewhere. On the other hand, I don't want to achieve a false economy and get floors that'll wear badly, or warp, etc. On what basis are you concerned about the quality, Newbie?

what's the story with laying laminate? I think there is now textured laminate. would this require an expert or can this be a DIY job??
DIY job.
I have put down two bedroom floors which look perfect and I wouldn't be best friends with a hammer and nail! A bit of patience is all you need

Do the skirting boards have to be removed?
Yes and no.
Yes if you would like a neater finish with the floors going under the skirting boards.
No if you are going to use beading around the edges of the floor up against the skirting. Doesn't look as neat but gives a good finish also.

Do these exapand and need an extra margin, or is that a stupid question...
Yes they do expand and yes you do need an extra margin of about 10mm all round. This is hidden under the skirting or beading.

Stay away from Laminate, especially if it is in a public space in the house, i.e. hallway, living room. Any damage and thats it. No covering it up.

Go for semi-solid at the very least. If your budget can stretch to solid wood then go for that.

Try www.urlar.com for info.

Check out the urlar website's special offers. The wood they supply is top quality as I have a friend who had his entire house fitted out with solid oak by them. I believe they deliver nationwide.

I brought my brother with us to look at floors and he felt that they were just poor quality. He's a carpenter and I didnt question him on what he meant by 'bad quality'. My own opinion was that they were too glossy and looked more like a laminate than a semi-solid. Again, I dont know anything about flooring so maybe check around with people who do.

Colin79ie, in accordance with the [broken link removed], could you please confirm whether you have any connection with the above business?
Thanks,
Leo

Looked at solid oak in DK's, €40/ squ yard (I think) fitted. Someone I know used them, and he said they were fine. But the guy told me that the fitters wouldn't re06ve the skirting boards if they were nailed on - he said they would put beading between the floor and the skirting. Is this the best way? Seems to me might be better to rip off the skirting, and lay the floor and then nail it back on? Does anyone know?

will be putting dwon wooden floors in house at a later date.
Have white doors & skirting boards & would like to get them changed to suit.

Is there a compant that would be interested in doing this all in one job or am I better off looking to get the job done individually ?

How much should I be expecting to pay ??

Hi,

We have been quoted €25 per square yard for someone to tile our hall and kitchen and put down the wooden floors in our new house in Wicklow?. It's working out very expensive, is this the going rate?. We are very happy with the cost of the tiles we got in tilesavers, still have to get a better price on the semi-solid oak floors this week, but the labour is pretty steep.
Anyone got any suggestions as we are just starting out so a bit clueless when it comes to pricing!.
Thanks

I paid €20 per square yard to have semi solid fitted, that included the beading all around the room as well and wasn't changing skirting boards.

My sister bought her floors from a shop offering laying as part of deal and said she's sorry she did. guy made mess of floors, all around edges where he had been hammering in skirting boards (or something!!) the floor has scratch marks where he obviously kept hitting the floor.

would recommend getting someone whose work you have seen or know someone who would recommend them. badly laid floors look awful so well worth the money to pay for someone good