Laying rolls of grass at this time.

onekeano

Having patio & path laid at present at the guy doing it intends to lays rolls of grass next week but I was wondering if there is any point given that we will probably have frost which would kill it off before it really takes?

Any advice appreciated.

Roy

To late in the year to lay rolled grass. First of all when was the turf cut and where ? The ground now would be too tough to cut an even roll and also when you lay the turf, their is no growth to allow the turf to bed in with the soil. You are better off waiting till late March/April to allow for the knitting of the turf into the soil.

Ideally when laying turf, the roll should be cut the day before or that day. It is at this stage that the roll is still moist. They can dry out very quickly. I would say wait. Others may have a different opinion ????

i was listening to radio one today derek mooney, guest was talking about planting grass seed and sod lawns. he said you could plant seed in ireland year round and lay sod also year round. i was in carrick on shannon today and saw sod being rolled out at strip mall, guys were also laying new top soil. i would talk to your supplier. Guest on mooney advised to use board when rolling out sod to disperse your weight and stay off new off lawn for three weeks. as someone who has previous layed sod i would also lay 4 inches of top soil before you lay your new sod. i would wait if possible you do not want to have repeat whole process as bussard says sod may not bed in with soil.

Back