Laying a Patio-DIY or Not

pennypincher

I'm thinking about putting down a patio in the hope of getting some sunshine at some stage this summer!As it is I have the bog standard square concrete slab outside my doors I want to extend this into the grass area using cobble bricks.My question is twofold,has anyone attempted this themselves was it DIYABLE?If I extend into the grass do I need to extend the cement slab that's already there and then just cement the bricks down?
Thanks

Do u have to use cement I think not, I think alot of slabs/bricks been laid now are straight onto sand in between slabs/bricks you could put a dry/wet your choice mix in which will help keep slabs/bricks in place for you to walk on, so say you make a mess just take them back up then get someone in to do it for you, if you watch alot of the garden programmes on tv they do put slabs/bricks on to a sand base only, a little tip also is when sand/bricks is ready for slab/bricks you could sprinkle a little dry cement on sand base before putting down slab/bricks this will make it a bit more solid when you walk on it

pennypincher

If you are laying the new slabs on top of the concrete then only use cement
if wish to have a raised patio area - make a 'wee' little wall around the area you desire and then you may use the dry cement/ sand style patio
ensure also that the chosen site specific location is south facing ie. true north positioning [unless you work shift hours in which case suit it to morning or evening/ sun rises in the east and sets in the west]

If you wish to do this yourself
- what size of area is it?
-is it required for a coffee table/ 2 chairs or 6 people for dinner?
-do you want a natural stone or 'just a patio'?
-have you really got the time & will it really be done this summer/ year?

let me know and i'll tell ye were to go from there!
best of luck
oirish

Have you ever done any tiling, putting down patio is like tiling, very hard to keep all 3 corners level, if you haven't done any my advice would be to get someone. Paver's make it look so simple,

Thanks for the replies,I have tiled the Kitchen floor and walls and it turned out pretty ok so I'd be happy enough to have ago.My concern is that if I lay bricks on the concrete and then also lay bricks on the grass area in time they(Grass area) will sink.I know I would have to dig out the grass and put in some foundation,what I want is for it to look like all one piece.Do I need drainage pipes or is that only for an industrial size patio!It is south facing and I will have the time but a few directions on the basics of covering both concrete base and gravel sand base would be appreciated?