Laya Laya flex 175 alternative for 2 pensioners age 70 +

housebound

Hi, my parents aged 70 & 74 are on the Laya flex 175 explore healthcare plan. It's due for renewal on 01 Feb 2020. They are Cork based.

I am trying to figure out what would be the best plan for them. They don't need gp cover as they have a gp/ medical card but consultant cover would be needed. Also I see their plan has no physiotherapy cover, no dental, no chiropody cover...yet my dad goes to a chiropodist and my mom to physio! They are on a few different tablets for cholesterol, high BP and my dad has mobility issues ( muscular dystrophy). Realistically dad needs regular physio/ OT too. Mom has a cataract developing and is seen regularly by an ophthalmologist due to detached retina a few years back.

Any advice as to the best plan for them would be very welcome as they only have their state pensions and no point wasting money on a plan that's not optimal for them , Thanks.

Hi housebound,

The following 3 Laya plans are worth considering;

1. Laya Connect Simplicity; price 1367pa; this plan fully covers a private room in a private hospital, all public, private and 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals
covered, private excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 100 per procedure. Good day to day cover included,
50% refund for consultant visits, physio cover, chiropody cover, etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year. If you don't use up all your day to day
benefits, you can transfer any unused amount over to your spouse, if they are also on Connect Simplicity plan.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1230pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. Private excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year for all
private admissions. Day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultants, physio, chiropody etc
upto a max refund of 500 per year per person.

3. Laya Total Health Complete 175; price 1240pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 175 per admission, day case
excess 50/175 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for consultants, physio, chiropodists upto a generous max refund of
7650 per year per person.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Options 1 or 2 would be suitable for your mother, as the day case excess is 50. Cataract procedures are usually day case procedures.

Option 3 would be similarly priced to Flex 175 Explore but with good day to day cover upto a max 7650 refund per year.

Regards, Snowyb

Back