Laya Laya connect choice- renewal march 20

phoenix53

Hi. Renewal notice in today from laya coming to €4759. Male 58 next bday, female 56 next bday, male 24 nbd and male 19 nbd. Policy - connect choice. Nice policy to have but getting beyond our reach.

The 24 year old is now working as a graduate and I've asked him to check out his work scheme to see if we can transfer his cover. That would reduce cost to us by approx 1000.

Still expensive though. Removing the 24 year old brings the cost down to near enough what it cost us for 4 people last year. The 18 year old is still in school.

For myself and husband (renewal 1500 each )we've been lucky that we haven't needed hospital admission treatment but have claimed back on doctors visits. I would like to make sure we have good cover for heart, cancer and orthopaedic (joint replacement ) conditions should they occur.

I'm one of those people who is afraid to move in case I get it wrong and reduce cover thereby inadvertently introducing a waiting period.

The 18 year old is probably over insured.

Would anyone have a plan they would recommend?

Thank you.

Snowy b, could you help me with this please? Tried the comparison option on the hia website but really not much the wiser.

Is it true that some of the plans don't appear on the company's website and you are better off calling them?
Thank you

Hi phoenix53,

Firstly, for the 18 year old, VHI are most competitive on price. The following options are worth considering;
18 year old options;
1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 401pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 per admission,
day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants, dental etc.

2. VHI PMI 07 10; price 418pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per year for
all admissions. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for gp visits, consultants, dental etc.
https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Adult Options
The following 2 Laya options are worth considering. Details as follows;
1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1230pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 2 max per year
for all admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp, consultants, dental,
physio etc - up to a max refund of 500 per year.(50% of 1000 = 500).

2. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1330pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess capped at 150 x 1 max per
year for all admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of 50% for gp, consultants,
dental, physio etc - upto a max refund of 1000 per year(50% of 2000 = 1000).

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

The following 2 Laya plans fully cover a private room in a private hospital, worth considering, details as follows;
3. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1370pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess
capped at 100 x 2 max per year for all admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, refund of 50% for
gp visits, consultants, physio, dental etc, upto 7650 max per year but the first 100 not allowed.

4. Laya Connect Simplicity; price 1367pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) + 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess
capped at 150 x 2 per year for all admissions, day case excess 100 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 1 euro excess, refund of
50% for gp visits, consultants, physio, dental etc upto a max refund of 1000 per year. If you don't use up the full day to day allowance of 1000 per year
you can transfer the unused amount over to your husband/wife/partner, if they are also on this plan.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much for the info snowyb. I don't know how you do it but really appreciate the effort and time it must take you to do this research on behalf of others.
I'm in work now but will study the info in more detail tonight.

Once again, thank you.

Back