lawnmower leaving a line of cut grass

pator

Anybody any idea why a lawnmower would be leaving (droping out/blowing out) a line of cut grass

Thanks

Have you checked if the grass box is full. Can't see how the blade would leave some behind even if blunt as it rotates so quickly.

It sounds like it's dropping grass that it's cut, rather than missing a line. Is the grass bin on correctly? Is it full?

The small passage between the blades and the box can often get stuffed with grass which can cause this (but it would have to have not been looked at for a long time to cause this). One good tip is having cleaned off the underneath of the mower of hard stuck on grass is a good spray of wd40 before each mow will work wonders (stops grass sticking to the blades etc.).

Yes its droping grass that is already cut rather than missing a line. Sorry two wheels if my wording didn't make that clear.

Grass box not full and cleaned off the underneath as good as I could and still doing it.
Will try the wd40 but if i have already cleaned it should it make a big difference to droping a line. ??

I have a "Harry" lawnmower where the box can be emptied without removing, ie you lift a handle on the box and the grass falls out, all the while the grass box is still attached to the mower.

If you don't reseat the box correctly grass will fall out in a line as you have described.

thanks guys,

grass dry and going at the usual speed. So will try the blunt blades, are they easy to sharpen ?? job for me and grinder or professional? Its a petrol "mccullough" (not sure of spelling)
thanks again

could be grass is too long, sounds like grass is damp though,
as far as sharpening blades is concerned, try youself but undersharpen them first to test if too sharp they might ''cut the grass'' i.e.-cut it right down to the bone and leave just muck and clay showing.

Are the blades cylindrical or lateral? i.e.- rotating like a barrel or rotating like the main rotor of a helicopter?

they are like the main rotor of a helicopter.

Was happening during the real dry weather as well, so don't think its the damp grass.
Its coming out in a very definete line along the ground - a straight line behind the left hand side of the mower, ie not across the width of the mower

I know the vent from my mower to the grass box is only on the right hand side, rather than across the entire back. How does your mower compare? It could be that the blades aren't creating enough of an air current to carry all of the grass to and through the vent into the grass box. Are the air holes on your grass box clear?

they are like the main rotor of a helicopter.

Was happening during the real dry weather as well, so don't think its the damp grass.
Its coming out in a very definete line along the ground - a straight line behind the left hand side of the mower, ie not across the width of the mower

Seagull's argument seems plausable, however it also sounds like your blade could be misaligned with the earth,i.e.- the blade is not level and is leaning at a slant. if the blade is leaning to the right I think it would leave a line of uncut grass all behin the left hand side of the mower.

I thought your moewer wasn't cutting at all.
Check under the blade in the center there might be a bolt that needs tightening, I know mine came loose before and I had to tighten it.
Although the blade still cut grass, I could hear the blade vibrating as it spun
and I didn't want to lose my legs, so I kept at it for awhile and found the bolt hidden under alot of old bedded grass and dirt, give it a shot....:)

The above is only if the mover is leaving lines of ''UNCUT'' grass thoughh.

I don't really know how the bag catches grass, but if you were to very slightly lean bak on the bars so the back of the mower moves closer to the ground would it work?

the bag may be damages at the bottom left side of mower checkit out....
it should be shovelling the grass into the bag as it passes over the earth.
make sure it's not bent upwards, allowing the grass to pass underneath the
'shovel' instead of over.

I've always used the line of dropped grass as a guide for the next cut; overlapping the line of dropped grass ensures that all of the grass is covered.

I think Billk has made the best sollution to the problem...

If you can't solve the problem..use it to your advantage...:cool:

Back