Lawnmower cant turn right!

albob

Hi,
I have been looking for a 2nd hand lawnmower (size of lawn does not justify new). I have found a self drive mower(not a ride on!). However the mower cannot turn right i.e. the back wheels (i.e. the driven wheels) are such that the left hand wheel can not rotate forward without the right wheel rotating forward at at least the same speed. The right wheel can turn faster that the left wheel allowing easy turning left, but not vice versa. Thus to turn right I would be dragging the wheels (or do a 270 degree turn left ) Sounds wrong but as it is 2nd hand maybe the older mowers drive mechanisms where crap?
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen a self drive mower with a diff, usually it's a solid axle with both driven wheels on it. Maybe someone will correct me.
Turning corners is a matter of tilting it back slightly to get the front wheels off the ground, then it will turn either direction freely.
What you're describing is a mower with only one driven wheel. The disadvantage of that would be a lack of grip on damp grass, also it may be inclined to damage the lawn.

Exactly. When I tilt mine back it will not allow a right turn due to the left wheels inablilty to turn faster than the right.

How about staring on the far right, and then going arond the whole outer edge then going in ever decreasing squares.

That way you wont need to turn right...