Lawn Sods

RobAMerc

I have been doing some work around the back garden and have left the grass ( won't call it a lawn as its a mess ) in a fairly poor condition. It was never up to much anyway - like sawgrass more than lawn.

I was thinking as its a fairly small area - should I write of whats there and buy some of the sods now that they are on sale in B&Q

Re: Lawn Sod's

Placing the sods will take a lot of maintinance work for the first 2 weeks especially watering - although with the current moist weather, you can eliminate some of the stress. The sods must 'knit' together and be level.

I did it 4 or 5 years ago, and it worked well.

My advice is to spray off and get in a small rotivator and reseed. It will be easy to keep watered over the summer and U wont have the headache of disposing of the sods.

as a matter of interest, can you rotavate the sod directly after killing grass with round-up? I enquired about hiring a rotavator from a hire shop and was advised that the sod should be "turned first" before rotavating..

Or is it a case that while the "turning" is not necessary it will place more strain on the machine and the hire shop would prefer if its machine was not put under pressure to prolong its life ?

Once the grass is killed off, the root structure would also be killed off so the rotivator would easily break up the sod for you. You may have to give it a few runs to have a fine surface for sowing. A quick rake over to level it out and remove any biggish stones etc and you should have a good surface for sowing seed.

Back