Latop connected to TV - only black and white picture

hjrdee

Hi,

I have connected my laptop (Lenovo, 18th mths old) to my new tv(Sony bravia, 40 inch LCD) but am only getting a black and white picture?

I am connecting using an s-video cable in the laptop and an s-video to scart converter in the tv.

Any ideas? The tv is wall mounted so I can't see if the back has an s-video port, but assume it has. Would going direct be a better option, or is there something more simple I'm missing to get a colour picture.

Thanks in advance

no HDMI connection on laptop I'm afraid. I'm sure its something relatively simple to fix, just not sure what it is.

Thanks

Check that your not outputting a NTSC signal. You would be better using the VGA or HDMI output, if it has one.

Check that your not outputting a NTSC signal. You would be better using the VGA or HDMI output, if it has one.
NTSC instead of PAL is most likely answer. I've also had that problem with some SVGA cables and not others.

The SVGA connection is be used for just for DVD playback. HDMI, DVI or VGA are better for computer display.

Well, I got sorted but slightly differently.

I took my S-video cable back to the shop and swapped it for a VGA monitor cable, both ends male. I then got an extension audio wire(according to the box its used to entend the wires from a stereo to a speaker) and attached it to the laptop headphone port and into the back of the telly.

The result was perfect. I got colour on the tv, and the audio was routed through the tv as well.

Thanks for all the help!