Latest news and measures on Coronavirus - Ireland

I thought they were compulsory in every indoor workplace.

They weren't previously in those settings - maybe for security concerns? That said, in my local post office they had signs up before stating must wear mask.

Some restrictions around travel, schools and outdoor meetings will be loosened from today. All students will return to classrooms, people can travel within their county borders or 20km from their home across county borders, and two households can meet outdoors in a public place.

I see nphet preparing to give just "one" press conference a week from May, at long last, these technocrats should never have been given such a high profile independent of government. They were fawned over by the media I don't remember too many difficult questions being asked during those press conferences, hardly white house briefing room stuff

I see nphet preparing to give just "one" press conference a week from May, at long last, these technocrats should never have been given such a high profile independent of government. They were fawned over by the media I don't remember too many difficult questions being asked during those press conferences, hardly white house briefing room stuff
Yep, we have a habit of blaming the government for every shortcoming within every State body.

Yep, we have a habit of blaming the government for every shortcoming within every State body.
And if they were releasing case figures and deaths from some unknown office there'd be questions like "who are these people, the figures are made up, they are part of a coup, and so on.

And if they were releasing case figures and deaths from some unknown office there'd be questions like "who are these people, the figures are made up, they are part of a coup, and so on.
Is says something when we trust technocrats and bureaucrats who are less accountable and totally unsanctionable more than we trust the people we elect to run the country. Actually it says lots of things.

Last edited:
Is says something when we trust technocrats bureaucrats who are less accountable and totally unsanctionable more than we trust the people we elect to run the country. Actually it says lots of things.
Maybe we have replaced the church with these quangos and technocratic bodies. It's the religious reverence they were treated with that's noteworthy. In the UK Boris Johnson was the face of the pandemic for both good and bad the experts shared a platform with the government but the government was front and central throughout

Maybe we have replaced the church with these quangos and technocratic bodies. It's the religious reverence they were treated with that's noteworthy. In the UK Boris Johnson was the face of the pandemic for both good and bad the experts shared a platform with the government but the government was front and central throughout
Maybe we see behind the curtain with our politicians, we see that they are flawed and that, like us, they make good and bad decisions. We don't see behind the curtain with most of the State sector so we deflect criticism towards what we see and what we know; the politicians.

Reactions: Leo
It's the religious reverence they were treated with that's noteworthy.

I wouldn't call it reverence, they spoke honestly, with integrity, and weren't solely motivated by personal gain. Perhaps that was such a welcome change from our politicians that the respect they were given approached reverence at times.

When politicians do that they lose their seat.

Exactly. A lot of politicians rightly pointed out zero covid policy was unattainable and raised very valid concerns about the ridiculous hotel quarantine system and they got crucified.

The same opposition saying that everyone should be put in a hotel are now saying that the rules are too strict when it comes to appeals. Its just political games.

There will be a further easing of restrictions, with inter county travel resuming from 10th may along with personal services such as hairdressers.

Please discuss on this thread;

Monaco and San Marino have been removed from the mandatory hotel quarantine list. I wonder if the governemnt can explain how it is possible to get to Ireland from San Marino without crossing Italy or taking a flight from Italy, or from Monaco without taking a flight or driving across France. Maybe a yacht from Monaco to Dublin? In the meantime the rate of infections in Donegal is about twice the rate of Italy and France..........I wonder if everyone coming from Donegal to Dublin should also face a mandatory quarantine session in the hotel ?

Last edited:
Monaco and San Marino have been removed from the mandatory hotel quarantine list. I wonder if the governemnt can explain how it is possible to get to Ireland from San Marino without crossing Italy or taking a flight from Italy, or from Monaco without taking a flight or driving across France.

Maybe you should read up on the quarantine system. Hint, they do realise people transit through third countries.

But the official goverment booklet says

"Mandatory hotel quarantine is required for passengers who have been in a designated state in the 14 days prior to their arrival in Ireland, including those who have transited through a port or airport in a designated country, even if they stay airside or portside."

Maybe you should read up on the quarantine system. Hint, they do realise people transit through third countries.

He is asking how you get from those places to Ireland without going into Italy and France and therefore subject to quarantine. It is a joke that people wasted their time researching and seeing if these countries could be removed.

Reminder that tomorrow sees the resumption of non essential retail, personal services, adult sports training, property viewings and inter county travel.
The number of people allowed on public transport increases to 50% of normal capacity.

* Please create new thread for discussion of the cyber attack

HSE services affected by ransomware attack - testing referrals and close contact systems offline.
Vaccine regsitration systems still operational.
As a result of the attack GPs are to advise patients to attend walk-in testing centres with priority given to symptomatic and close contacts at these centres, the HSE said this morning. The HSE is also working to open all 35 testing sites for walk-ins with an update expected later today.

Back