Later with Jools Holland, BBC2

mathepac

I've just witnessed one of the most extraordinary televisual musical collaborations I've ever witnessed on the above programme tonight. Jools, a fine musician, raconteur and commentator in his own right, persuaded a youthful looking Smokey Robinson to do a verse and chorus of one of his own songs and later to do a full version of a Norah Jones song accompanied by Jools on the joannah and Eric Clapton. I mean to say they're all like me, well apart from Jools, 60's refugees and too old. Except they weren't and it was magical, to the extent that I missed the drummer, bass-player and 2nd keyboard player. Anyone any ideas who they were? I'm still in shock, in a good way, but stunned.

Yoko Ono and Basement Jaxx were on the show and Sean Lennon will be along Friday nigh with his Mammy.

I'd given Jools and his matey shenanigans a wide berth recently (seemed to consist almost solely of either 'world'/light jazz noodling; R&B/urban; or terrace anthem indie facsimiles IMO) but sounds like I might be missing out.

Does the Fri show include any or all of last nights one?

You will probably find the clip on YouTube where other people might know the names...

Just caught the end of it when Yoko Ono was singing or emm ...well sounded like a very excited woman if you get my gist :D.
Most Strange!

... Does the Fri show include any or all of last nights one?
The only ones I know for sure are the ones above. Last night was a bit rushed as he only had a 30 min "fill-in" before the Electric Proms (Robbie Williams last night; God help us the poor guy, the less said the better IMHO).

Well OK but I should point out that I was never a big fan of his or the boy-band thingy predecessor, Ah That / Whammit / Take Away, whatever they were called, but I did like his line in "populist stadium anthem" type-tunes, though some had a bit too much saccharin pop psychology / angst for me.

Last night I found him nervous and vulnerable, his little stories were rambling and a trifle incoherent, the joke lacked a real punch-line. I'm not sure whether nervousness or vocal limitations came first but the top and bottom have gone from his voice - he was struggling to be heard in the lower registers and he missed most of the top notes in his own songs by a fair margin.

He vocal abilities and range were always (to me that is and I'm no Simon Cowell) secondary to his energy, wit and personality - he was a performer rather than a singer. I remember him from the first time in Slane and he took the place by storm with his vibrancy and apparent self-assuredness. We now know that some of that might have had external influences, but none the less his vocal limitations were secondary.

Last night the over-riding impression I was left with was of someone recovering from a long illness who has just come back a bit too soon and certainly physically he wasn't quite fit as he hardly moved from the little centre bit of the stage. There's huge pressure on him - the new record, X-Factor, the tour, the expectations of his new best-friends, etc.

In stark contrast, earlier last night one of popular music's most truly gifted natural musicians, Eric Clapton, who has had all the miseries of addiction, financial loss, bereavement, illness, bum recording companies and bum contracts, group break-ups, legal hassles and so on looked and sounded absolutely superb and he's twice Robbie's age.

I just hope it's not Robbie's comeback / farewell tour.

Yeah - the modern version of the Old Grey Whistle Test with another muso to replace the late John Peel - super.

Back