Late VAT return & now Tax Estimate Letter

Moneypit

I was 99.9% sure I submitted on ROS my husband's VAT return for Mar-Apr '19 on the evening of Fri 17th May, thought it was done and sorted as usual until we received a Demand or Tax Estimate letter via email the other day. Turns out the return I thought I made didn't go through. They have given an estimate of what they think was due for the two month period which is way off, I've no idea where they got the figure from, I've gone back as far as 2015 and looked at all previous Mar-Apr VAT returns and it's probably 4 or 5 times the amount. Anyway, I logged onto ROS yesterday morning and filed the return properly this time, as we had an amount repayable to us from Jan-Feb we are actually ever so slightly in credit as I had asked for that amount to be offset against Mar-Apr return. I rang Revenue this morning to say that the return had been done, apologies for the mix up etc. but what should I do now about this large S110 estimate they say we owe, she was a lovely girl as they usually are, but she said they could do nothing, that it was with the debt department and put me through to them. So, that was a different experience, much more hard ball, guy on the phone kept asking me how I wanted to pay the money, I explained I had put the return through yesterday morning but unfortunately their systems take longer for it to show so he couldn't see it, I asked how they came up with the figure and he said that's the estimate, that's what you normally pay, I said no it's not, far from it. I offered to send him by email the screenshot from my ROS to show the return made yesterday but he said it was ok. He told me they would put a hold on it for a couple of days. I told him I'd ring him tomorrow morning. I'm really worried now that I've left us open to being audited. Any advice on how to handle this? Should I have just paid the amount they were looking for today even if I now it's completely wrong? Help ..... thanks.

Just forget about the estimate. Once the return goes live in a day or 2 the estimate will be overwritten by the return and forgotten by everyone forever

Just forget about the estimate. Once the return goes live in a day or 2 the estimate will be overwritten by the return and forgotten by everyone forever
Oh I hope so, fingers crossed, thanks for the reply.

I have just received an estimate because I forgot to file the return. will the estimate now be overridden as I have now just submitted the VAT return

happens to me 2-3 times a year. They always ignore the estimate once you've sent in the correct amount

Back