Late Planning Commencement Notice?

J

JamesFlynn

We've just completed building a small extension to the back of our terraced house and my architect has handed me a "commencement notice" and has told me to send it in to the Council.

Some research on the web shows that this notice should obviously have been submitted before the construction work started.

The architect is a personal friend who prepared the architectural plans at a reduced rate as a favour, so I don't have any legal comeback. He obviously just forgot to send it in. We have planning permission and the extension is not at all controversial.

The extension is completed - I don't want there to be any legal issues when I sell the house.

Has anyone any experience as to what the best course of action would be now? Should I submit the commencement notice as if the extension hasn't been built yet and hope for the best, or is there some other way to resolve the issue.

Any thoughts or advice most welcome!

Thanks,
James

All depends on when you plan to sell. If it's not for a few years, you've nothing to worry about, there's a limited time frame when an issue like this can be raised.

Hi
i am in the exact same boat as the poster below.

planning permission approved but an oversight and forgot to send commencement notice in until less than the 14 days required.

just an extension over side garage

does anyone else have any experience on this issue , and do they ever check ?

at this stage builders have 2 days work done, and there is no way i want tools downed for 2-3 weeks.....would lose builders for a start.

am thinking of sending in and putting a commencement day 14 days from now, and continuing to build

thanks, heres hoping...

Actually as far as I recall, you can commence groundworks and pouring of foundations prior to submission of a commencement notice but you cannot raise a building out of the ground. Obviously this is dependant on having the ness planning permissions.

Just send in the notice now. The council wont know unless they come out to check and the chances are if it just an extension you can agrue that the work will was done in the meantime. They should not have any reason to call out to site so you should be ok

Back