late late show competition

dewdrop

a friend telephoned the number which appeared on the rte screen to enter some competition on the late late. she used a land line and was asked to enter her mobile number. it appears this resulted in her beingentered in to some kind of lotto competition costing one euro. in order to cancel she had text back and say cancel. appartently there is a notice probably in small print on the screen saying this will happen. if the foregoing is correct i think it is unfair to invite people phone in and then they get landed into some other competition which they had no intention nor indeed knowledge ofentering.

Was this via Aertel for a Honda Civic?

If so, I saw it too - the mention of the €1 was obvious enough and discouraged me from entering.

definitely not aertel..just saw the number on the tv watching the show and not sure what prize was. entering such things seem to be not as clear as one would think unless you read small print

Almost all of these "competitions" have a cost of entry. It's the same with "Mooney's money", the afternoon show on RTE 1 and even, I noticed, the competion on the champions's league show last night. On TV shows, the reference to the charge is contained in the caption of the box showing the phone number but it's in much smaller test relative to the phone number. Mooney makes no reference to it at all on his show.

What began many years ago as an incentive to watch a programme has now become a nice little earner that preys on the gullible and the uninformed.

So that's how they can afford to pay PK nearly €1M p.a.! :)

Naw, its the licence fee from our little nation of less than 2 million taxpayers who pay his massive + over the top salary

. she used a land line and was asked to enter her mobile number. it appears this resulted in her beingentered in to some kind of lotto competition costing one euro. in order to cancel she had text back and say cancel...... if the foregoing is correct i think it is unfair to invite people phone in and then they get landed into some other competition which they had no intention nor indeed knowledge ofentering.

you have all completely missed the point being made in the OP. The complaint is not about the cost of entry to the competition, although this may itself be an issue. It is the fact that her mobile number was passed on to another company (I assume in exchange for a payment) who used it to subscribe her to premium rate texts. This is a dirty little secret that these shows don't want you to know about and a practice that Regtel is refusing to do anything about.

thanks Madisona..that is exactly the point as you outlined. i think it is a great intrusion in ones privacy. it seems when you enter a phone competition nowadaays you never know what you are leading yourself into. surely the late late people have some role to play in this

Back