Laser transaction Problems

L

lorren01

I have a problem with a laser transaction.
Last Thurs 7th I had €270 in my household account with no pending laser transactions, SO's or DD's.
I paid 50euro off my credit card using 365online, 20euro on phone topup and called SKY tv to pay €114 using my new laser card number. No one else had this number.
I then went to the supermarket to pick up some baby food and other much needed essentials but my laser transaction for 58euro was declined.
After retrying I was very upset and had to leave without my trolley. I had no cash so couldn't even get petrol or withdraw. My 20euro phone credit was used up on hold to Sky and my BOI branch who, along with Banking 365 phone confirmed there were TWO transactions for 114 euro. Sky would not refund as they insisted they only had one transaction and my branch would not cancel the unauthorised transaction as they said it was my fault for giving Sky my laser number.
As a result of the extra 114 transaction, I was overdrawn without permission but my branch could do nothing. I have tried to cancel the transaction ever since but my branch tried to convince me it was up to Sky to refund.
As of Monday the 11th, one of the two 114euro transactions has since been updated to show Sky transaction- the other still has no info but still my money is gone.
Tomorrow it'll be a week gone and my car finance DD may be returned because of it. I insisted on Friday that the branch trace the transaction but they have no updates.
Just now I have dealt with the one helpful person in the branch who has promised to get back to me by the morning. I feel much better now but I cant believe that they didn't take me seriously when I insisted this was a duplicate transaction a week ago. I am so angry and was very upset that I couldn't buy any food or nappies. My family have helped out but I really shouldn't have been humiliated like this due to some computer problem.
I dont know why a branch cant take immediate action.
It may seem a small amount to some but it was is my money and I was depending on it.

I suppose I just had a really bad day with bad luck but I'm terrified that I may not be able to access my money again.

I'm kinda confused. So you have two transactions for €114, one being Sky and the other one you don't know who took the money?

Can you check your account online? BOI have recently gone "live" (for want of a better word). While I was on the phone to sky on Saturday the payment I made via laser card showed up immediatly.

I'm kinda confused. So you have two transactions for €114, one being Sky and the other one you don't know who took the money?

Sounds like that. Laser (debit) cards are dangerous, you are covered by none of the laws which cover credit cards. If something goes wrong it is up the good will of the bank to fix it.

What has happened is that Sky have put it thru twice but only one has confirmed. The other one should drop off the account 7 days later.

I reckon the the 114 will be back tomorrow.

I am quite fascinated to have found this post. Last week, a certain quite well-known retailer decided to "make every little help" after a Laser transaction for over €170 "aborted", and repeated it 3 times before a manager intervened, transferred the details to another till, and successfully completed the transaction. Now, the 3x dud transactions are blocking our account - over €500 worth. THIS one is clearly the fault of (insert name here); to the best of my knowledge, the bank cannot simply cancel such a transaction without the authority of the originator and this is probably the same in your case.

The bad news is, despite IMMEDIATE action on my part, several letters, and recourse to solicitor, this amount remains blocked - after MORE than 7 days. I was given no fewer than THREE "assurances" that the issue would be resolved: 1, "when the real transaction is processed" (didn't happen). 2, (last Friday) "they'll drop off your account at midnight - absolutely, definitely" (didn't happen). 3, after a not very productive discussion with the store manager on Monday, "within 5 working days - which will be tomorrow (Tuesday)" (didn't happen).

The retailer involved believes they have "wasted enough of their time" on "my problem" and aren't prepared to do anything more - the store manager's explanation was that "this is a mechanical system" (truly, I kid you not!). They did offer to cash a cheque for the amount for me - but that's a solution which is worse than the problem; the cheque would bounce, and that's a criminal offence. Also this "solution" has been laughed at by our solicitor, several friends, AND two court officials!

I have now submitted a claim through the Small Claims court - this is a very easy process, and costs just €15.

I look forward to hearing how your case works out, I will update you on mine!