Laser / Cirrus card

heracles

My 15 year old son is a customer of Bank of Ireland and has a laser card. He is travelling to the UK soon and wants to get a cirrus card so that he can withdraw cash from his account but the Bank has told him that he can't have one because he is under 18. My 17 year old daughter got one from her bank with no problem! Anyone know what is the legal situation here?

Looked at AIB website. Dosen't say you have to be 18 but for Student Plus account with debit card you need to be 3rd. level student so I guess at least 17.

Maybe that explains the difference.

Be careful when using Bank of Ireland Cirrus. They charge approx 4% of the amount withdrawn

I'm surprised if anyone under 18 has a Cirrus Card. (I presume OP has typed Laser instead of 365 card as a Laser card incorporates Cirrus )

It's illegal to lend to anyone under 18 & seeing as you can overdraw on a Cirrus Card, because it's not online when abroad, it is not allowed to underage persons.

A cirrus card is a very expensive way of withdrawing cash when not in the Eurozone. There are charges of 3.5% for each tx min charge €3.15 & max (I think ) €17.50 when in a different currency area, with a BOI cirrus card. You can run up charges very quickly this way.

Hope this help to clarify.

Back