Laser Card?

M

myliverbird

This is my first post so go easy guys;)

Ok here is the situation.....
I am jetting off to Gran Canaria in just over 3 weeks and have just lodged my spending money into my current account and im looking to get a Laser card from BOI. I currently have a student credit card issued to me by BOI with a limit of 400euro, which I have spent and and paying back 10euro a month. So far i have paid back 50 which leaves a debt of 350.

My 1st question: Will BOI issue me a Laser Card if I already have a student credit card?

2nd question: If so, will the 350 still owed on the student credit card be deducted from my spending money for the Laser Card?

Help much appreciated....thanks guys

Hi myliverbird,

I cannot advise as to whether BOI will issue you with a Lazer card but there are no Limits as such on the Lazer card - the Limit imposed is how much you have your current account to spend. The only 'credit' you can use on a Lazer card is if you have a bank overdraft facility

This is my first post so go easy guys;)

Ok here is the situation.....
I am jetting off to Gran Canaria in just over 3 weeks and have just lodged my spending money into my current account and im looking to get a Laser card from BOI. I currently have a student credit card issued to me by BOI with a limit of 400euro, which I have spent and and paying back 10euro a month. So far i have paid back 50 which leaves a debt of 350.

My 1st question: Will BOI issue me a Laser Card if I already have a student credit card?

2nd question: If so, will the 350 still owed on the student credit card be deducted from my spending money for the Laser Card?

Help much appreciated....thanks guys

1. It is up to the bank if they will give you a laser card. I do not think that it is relevant that you have a credit card. If the bank is not happy with any repayments that you make to them then they probably will not issue you with a laser card. Ring and ask them.

2. No the bank cannot take the 350 out unless you had the credit card monthly payments set up for 100% of the money owed and as you say you are paying €10 a month I presume that this is not the case. You hol spending money is safe in your current account. BUT when you come back from hols I would advise you to clear that card asap.

thanks guys, I guess i will have to talk to BOI, just wanted an idea of how it works.

Laser cards are not usable abroad, so if your plan is to use the card to withdraw cash in Gran Canaria, then this is not the solution.

BOI may issue Laser cards with added Mastro or Cirrus functionality which allow withdrawals abroad, but you should check this before you rely on it abroad.

Laser cards are not usable abroad, so if your plan is to use the card to withdraw cash in Gran Canaria, then this is not the solution.

BOI may issue Laser cards with added Mastro or Cirrus functionality which allow withdrawals abroad, but you should check this before you rely on it abroad.

Make sure that the bank know where you want to be able to access your current account funds, (i.e. from abroad) so that they order the correct card for you

Postbank will give you a Maestro debit card instantly - no questions asked. That can be used at any ATM displaying the Maestro logo and at most POS (point of sale) terminals worldwide. www.postbank.ie

You should attach a rider to that.

It will work at some POS terminals. Go up the north and see what I mean.

Go into Halifax and open an account there. You will get a visa debit card which will work worldwide.

Yes I have had it refused at some POS terminals in the North , have used it widely across Europe though and never had a problem.

The compatibility problems with the UK systems which are serious issues for me. You would be lucky to get them to work in 50% of POS terminals.

Hi myliverbird,

I cannot advise as to whether BOI will issue you with a Lazer card but there are no Limits as such on the Lazer card - the Limit imposed is how much you have your current account to spend. The only 'credit' you can use on a Lazer card is if you have a bank overdraft facility

There seems to be a limit of €1500 on my BOI laser card. afaik this is per transaction. I discovered this when trying to buy €2000 of prizebonds.

Back