Laser and Visa Debit - What's the differnce?

Staples

I just got notice from UB of the intention to replace my Laser with a Visa Debit.

Assuming this works like regular Visa card does this mean that withdrawals/purchases can be made only to the limit of available funds or is it intended to apply a credit limit similar to regular credit cards?

Thanks in advance

In practice it is the exact same as a Laser Card as regards your bank account funds, & transactions are debited directly from your current account. Visa Debit is not a credit card & works the exact same way as a Laser Card. It is accepted anywhere that accepts Visa, so can be used worldwide for retail purchases, ATM withdrawals & for online purchases, whereas Laser is very limited as regards where & when it can be used.

I have noticed though that not many retailers here actually offer cashback at the counter as often as when using Laser even though the facility is available on the card. This I assume is because many of them are not yet familiar with the card or their POS terminals need to be updated to prompt the cashback option.

http://www.ulsterbank.com/roi/perso...isa-debit.ashx?coid=UB_IE_HPLHS_roi_visadebit

Agree with Pc there, about the only place I have been offered cash-back is in Marks and Sparks, with my soon to be defunct Halifax Visa Debit.

But the card is very handy on-line, abroad and generally.

The thoughts of having to switch to UB to retain a Visa Debit are just unbearable, I hate them with a vengeance. I have had my reasons for this, and they have had to pay me as per FSO ruling, but their Customer Service is appalling.

Halifax, in contrast, were excellent, always got to talk to someone with a Dundalk accent :D

I've received a Visa Debit card and I don't like the name because it makes me think of credit cards rather than laser. It's very confusing.

Laser is a closed system only used within the Republic. Visa Debit is a worldwide system which is clearly superior to laser.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'd agree that the use of the word "Visa" is confusing in that it suggests credit (and all that goes with it).

Back